RMN placement hours HELP

Watch this thread
Mhn2024
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! First time posting. I’m 2 weeks away from finishing my first placement, we have been told to complete 400 hours. However I am way short, with around 300 completed. Part because the shift pattern where I am is only 6 hour shifts, and I also had 10 days off with Covid. Im so worried that I will fail this placement. I have been signed off on all of my proficiencies and the placement have even offered me a job when I finish it, so to fail would be so upsetting

Anyone else been 100 hours short? The placement team at uni are vague and just say they will assess each individual case accordingly, I suppose they don’t want to outright say “yeah you can be 100 hours short” or maybe you can’t and I am going to fail!

Advice please thank you
Last edited by Mhn2024; 4 months ago
Mhn2024
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Hi! First time posting. I’m 2 weeks away from finishing my first placement, we have been told to complete 400 hours. However I am way short, with around 300 completed. Part because the shift pattern where I am is only 6 hour shifts, and I also had 10 days off with Covid. Im so worried that I will fail this placement. I have been signed off on all of my proficiencies and the placement have even offered me a job when I finish it, so to fail would be so upsetting

Anyone else been 100 hours short? The placement team at uni are vague and just say they will assess each individual case accordingly, I suppose they don’t want to outright say “yeah you can be 100 hours short” or maybe you can’t and I am going to fail!

Advice please thank you
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mhn2024)

Advice please thank you
Seeing as students are expected to work 37.5 hours a week, I assume that this is a 12 week placement.
Your aim is to get all your proficiencies signed, and 2300 hours in total over the 3 years.

I'm a registered nurse. Things I've know students fail for/failed them for:
- poor communication/inability to safely follow instructions
- continually not showing up on time
- not following sickness or uniform policy
- not being able to do things, even under direct supervision multiple times with significant support

I've never known a student fail one placement for being short on hours - especially when, like in your case, you have valid reason for having missed hours. In fact, every time I've know a student be short on hours, the university has liaised with placement areas to organise extra placements for the sake of hours. You'll be fine.
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
70 hours are classed as sick. 370
2 weeks at 6 x 5 30 hours so 400
Mhn2024
Rep:
(Original post by paub)
70 hours are classed as sick. 370
2 weeks at 6 x 5 30 hours so 400
What do you mean 70 hours are classed as sick?
And I only do placement 3 days a week, as the other 2 days are virtual and those hours are already accounted for in the 300 I’d have done.
Mhn2024
Rep:
(Original post by Emily_B)
Seeing as students are expected to work 37.5 hours a week, I assume that this is a 12 week placement.
Your aim is to get all your proficiencies signed, and 2300 hours in total over the 3 years.

I'm a registered nurse. Things I've know students fail for/failed them for:
- poor communication/inability to safely follow instructions
- continually not showing up on time
- not following sickness or uniform policy
- not being able to do things, even under direct supervision multiple times with significant support

I've never known a student fail one placement for being short on hours - especially when, like in your case, you have valid reason for having missed hours. In fact, every time I've know a student be short on hours, the university has liaised with placement areas to organise extra placements for the sake of hours. You'll be fine.
Hi, it’s a 10 week placement, we were initially told 37.5 hours a week but then that was retracted and we have now been told 400. It’s been very confusing to be honest
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mhn2024)
Hi, it’s a 10 week placement, we were initially told 37.5 hours a week but then that was retracted and we have now been told 400. It’s been very confusing to be honest
So, if you did complete 37.5 hours every single week for the full 10 weeks, you'd only need to potentially do 2-3 extra shifts, or a couple slightly longer, to do 400 hours (37.5 hours a week for 10 weeks is 375 hours!).

However.... I've never known a student fail for not having done every single hour required for that placement - they've always been able to make up the time later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads