The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Travelling to university of Southampton for offer holder day

I have an offer holder day to attend on Saturday and I am quite confused with the travel. I will be travelling from London via train and I am not sure which train station to book for and how to get to the university from the train station.. are there busses?
Yes there are buses that go from both train stations to the main campus.

Southampton Airport Parkway is technically quicker to get to the campus but if you're not familiar with the area you might feel a bit anxious since it's kind of not really near anything else, in case you miss the bus etc. Southampton Central probably takes a bit longer but it's more or less in the city centre so if you can't figure out the bus you need or miss it and don't want to wait longer getting a taxi will be quite easy.

Both of this assumes you're going to the main campus; if you were going to NOCS then Southampton Central is much closer. Likewise central is probably closer for UHS, although I doubt they would have an event there for offer holders...
(edited 2 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes there are buses that go from both train stations to the main campus.

Southampton Airport Parkway is technically quicker to get to the campus but if you're not familiar with the area you might feel a bit anxious since it's kind of not really near anything else, in case you miss the bus etc. Southampton Central probably takes a bit longer but it's more or less in the city centre so if you can't figure out the bus you need or miss it and don't want to wait longer getting a taxi will be quite easy.

Both of this assumes you're going to the main campus; if you were going to NOCS then Southampton Central is much closer. Likewise central is probably closer for UHS, although I doubt they would have an event there for offer holders...

thank you!
From Southampton central make sure you leave the station on the platform 4 side for the buses to highfield and not the platform 1 side.

If you’re coming from London platform 4 is where your train will normally stop.
Original post by PQ
From Southampton central make sure you leave the station on the platform 4 side for the buses to highfield and not the platform 1 side.

If you’re coming from London platform 4 is where your train will normally stop.

Thank you for letting me know.

I am coming from London so I think it'll stop at platform 4
Original post by alicaneygi123
I have an offer holder day to attend on Saturday and I am quite confused with the travel. I will be travelling from London via train and I am not sure which train station to book for and how to get to the university from the train station.. are there busses?

Hi @alicaneygi123
Congrats on your offer! I hope you enjoy your offer holder day!
You've had some great responses here but I thought I'd just add the bus names as I know that would have helped me when I was in your position.
I'd also go to Southampton Central Station as people have recommended.
If you get off at Platform 4 side, you can get the U1A from right outside the station. It'll take about 20 minutes and the stop is the Highfield Interchange.
If you get off at Platform 1 side, you can get the U2B from across the road. Again, it'll take around 20 minutes and the stop is Highfield Interchange.
Both sides can get you to the Highfield Campus, assuming that's where you're going. :smile:

I hope this helps!

Daisy (an official third-year History rep) :smile:
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @alicaneygi123
Congrats on your offer! I hope you enjoy your offer holder day!
You've had some great responses here but I thought I'd just add the bus names as I know that would have helped me when I was in your position.
I'd also go to Southampton Central Station as people have recommended.
If you get off at Platform 4 side, you can get the U1A from right outside the station. It'll take about 20 minutes and the stop is the Highfield Interchange.
If you get off at Platform 1 side, you can get the U2B from across the road. Again, it'll take around 20 minutes and the stop is Highfield Interchange.
Both sides can get you to the Highfield Campus, assuming that's where you're going. :smile:

I hope this helps!

Daisy (an official third-year History rep) :smile:

Thank you! Not sure if this would get answered on time but how do bus tickets work there. Can I just tap on using contactless or do you have to buy a physical ticket?
You can buy a day ticket when you get on with contactless https://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/single-and-day-tickets

Or if you haven’t bought a train ticket yet then adding plusbus to your train ticket is much cheaper (especially if you buy a ticket with a railcard discount) https://www.plusbus.info/southamptona
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PQ
You can buy a day ticket when you get on with contactless https://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/single-and-day-tickets

Or if you haven’t bought a train ticket yet then adding plusbus to your train ticket is much cheaper (especially if you buy a ticket with a railcard discount) https://www.plusbus.info/southamptona

Thank you I definitely feel more confident now.
(Plusbus train tickets are a good choice for loads of cities and towns if you’re visiting by train for a day)

Quick Reply

Latest