The Student Room Group

Questions about post graduate

Hi,

I’m looking at applying for an ecology based masters. I don’t understand how the finance works - if I only get finance for say £11,000 wouldn’t that have to go straight to the course? How do people afford to live? Can’t say I’d want to try and work whilst doing a masters and travelling in.

Any advice? Thanks
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Hi,

I’m looking at applying for an ecology based masters. I don’t understand how the finance works - if I only get finance for say £11,000 wouldn’t that have to go straight to the course? How do people afford to live? Can’t say I’d want to try and work whilst doing a masters and travelling in.

Any advice? Thanks

Hi there! I'm a current postgraduate student at Uni of Bath studying MSc Management, so I'm happy to provide any advice while you think about further study.

In regards to finance, the maximum student loan is around £11,000, which gets sent to your personal bank account. It is up to you, how you choose to distribute that fund. But yes, tuition is often the first priority or accommodation. If your course is more than that amount, then most people will use all of their loan for tuition. Unfortunately there is no flexibility on that amount of finance.

Most people tend to get a part-time job during their studies to help fund their living costs etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mia :smile:
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Hi,

Any advice? Thanks

Hi! I'm doing a masters- and yes almost all my loan goes towards the course fees. I've used some savings, and work 2 days a week to make up the difference. It is doable but would definitely have been more of a struggle for me without the savings. Some people I know work evenings instead and make it work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending