The Student Room Group

Dropping out of med school and applying to Vet

Would dropping out of med school and applying to a non medicine course impact my application? Meaning would the uni view it as low commitment coming from a drop out or something?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caring54321
Would dropping out of med school and applying to a non medicine course impact my application? Meaning would the uni view it as low commitment coming from a drop out or something?

It's a huge red flag to drop out of any medical school to reapply.
Original post by hungrysalamander
It's a huge red flag to drop out of any medical school to reapply.

Can you tell me how come?
Can you tell me how come?

might know more but I think it has to do with lack of commitment as you said and medical schools do not want to waste a place on someone who might not finish the course.
Original post by hungrysalamander
@ecolier might know more but I think it has to do with lack of commitment as you said and medical schools do not want to waste a place on someone who might not finish the course.

I know, I meant I won’t be reapplying to a medical school. Just dropping out of one to pursue a different field
I know, I meant I won’t be reapplying to a medical school. Just dropping out of one to pursue a different field

Yeah that's fine I think.
What about reapplying to vet school? Does that count as medicine or no
I am

I am. Thank you
I think you would be making a big error doing this. Vet med has just as much reason to be concerned about this red flag as human medical schools would be. I think your motives would be closely scrutinised and I think they’d get more than a hint of entitlement from you if you thought you could so easily jump ship from one to another.
I am

I am. Thank you

How would you feel if you didn’t get a vet med offer? Are you sure you wouldn’t regret your human medicine course in these circumstances?
Original post by Anonymous
I think you would be making a big error doing this. Vet med has just as much reason to be concerned about this red flag as human medical schools would be. I think your motives would be closely scrutinised and I think they’d get more than a hint of entitlement from you if you thought you could so easily jump ship from one to another.

i disagree. i think it’s a big leap of faith to switch from medicine to veterinary medicine and that could shine in OP’s favour if they play it well in the questionnaires and personal statement. i wrote about how i was unsure at first and then completing all my work experience helped me to realise this was the field i wanted to go into, and i wasn’t scrutinised or anything for it. As long as OP had the correct predicted grades and completed the SJT / pre interview questionnaires well, they have just a good a chance as any other vet med applicant at getting an offer.

this may be our only life if you don’t believe in reincarnation, why would you want to spend it doing a career you dislike or were pressured into by your parents.

@Caring54321 i would get some work experience in an actual vet clinic and research a bit more into the role of a vet and make sure you’re 100% sure before changing your mind !!

Where's the entitlement? People on this forum are so weird sometimes :confused:
Original post by Democracy
Where's the entitlement? People on this forum are so weird sometimes :confused:

honestly imagine thinking someone’s “entitled” because they want to change their career path for their OWN life 😭😭😭😭 people need to learn to mind their own business

Entitlement for doing what I have a passion for? I don’t think I’m being true to myself and when I absolutely despise med school and can’t see myself following through with it, wheras being a vet is always a lingering childhood dream I couldn’t achieve because of other circumstances, I’d be pretty gutted I get rejected because the uni feels I’m “entitled” coming from med school.
Original post by aliaa03
i disagree. i think it’s a big leap of faith to switch from medicine to veterinary medicine and that could shine in OP’s favour if they play it well in the questionnaires and personal statement. i wrote about how i was unsure at first and then completing all my work experience helped me to realise this was the field i wanted to go into, and i wasn’t scrutinised or anything for it. As long as OP had the correct predicted grades and completed the SJT / pre interview questionnaires well, they have just a good a chance as any other vet med applicant at getting an offer.

this may be our only life if you don’t believe in reincarnation, why would you want to spend it doing a career you dislike or were pressured into by your parents.

@Caring54321 i would get some work experience in an actual vet clinic and research a bit more into the role of a vet and make sure you’re 100% sure before changing your mind !!

Thank you 🥲 did you switch from med to vet school as well? Would it be okay if I PM you?

Just for the record, I’m not thinking the “jump shift” is going to easy either. I understand I’ll be judged like a new applicant (maybe even more considering I took a gap year) and I’ll have to work as hard as ever and gain the work experience etc. required for vet school
(edited 2 years ago)
Just for the record, I’m not thinking the “jump shift” is going to easy either. I understand I’ll be judged like a new applicant (maybe even more considering I took a gap year) and I’ll have to work as hard as ever and gain the work experience etc. required for vet school

I wasn’t implying that you thought the jump would be easy, but as a regular on the veterinary medicine thread and the mother of a vet student, I have seen hundreds of seemingly perfect applicants with far more than the necessary work experience, 3 or 4 straight A*’s be rejected two years in a row from all of the vet schools.Hence my question: How would you feel if this happened to you? You would be surprised at the number of posts from students and parents asking where they went wrong with what seemed a perfect application, because unlike medicine there are no entry tests as such, just a few sjt’s and interviews.
I would advise that you think very carefully before making a rash decision. I’m not saying don’t do it. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a job you detest, but think carefully about the worse case scenario and what you would do then.
(edited 2 years ago)
We

Original post by Nobody2u
I wasn’t implying that you thought the jump would be easy, but as a regular on the veterinary medicine thread and the mother of a vet student, I have seen hundreds of seemingly perfect applicants with far more than the necessary work experience, 3 or 4 straight A*’s be rejected two years in a row from all of the vet schools.Hence my question: How would you feel if this happened to you? You would be surprised at the number of posts from students and parents asking where they went wrong with what seemed a perfect application, because unlike medicine there are no entry tests as such, just a few sjt’s and interviews.
I would advise that you think very carefully before making a rash decision. I’m not saying don’t do it. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a job you detest, but think carefully about the worse case scenario and what you would do then.

I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to quote you haha, I was quoting Anonymous. I completely get what you mean, and while I’m still pondering my current situation, I don’t think I’d regret dropping out of med school
Entitlement for doing what I have a passion for? I don’t think I’m being true to myself and when I absolutely despise med school and can’t see myself following through with it, wheras being a vet is always a lingering childhood dream I couldn’t achieve because of other circumstances, I’d be pretty gutted I get rejected because the uni feels I’m “entitled” coming from med school.

Just read this quote, and if as you say, you despise med school, then go for it. @aliaa03 is in my opinion right in saying you wouldn’t be penalised for your previous studies as long as you are careful in the way you present the situation.
Good luck in your application. Maybe see you next year on the vet med thread!
(edited 2 years ago)
Going through the same issue tbh

Some background info: I was pretty much insinuated into going to med school due to parental pressure. I’m in my first year now and absolutely demotivated. My health overall has gone down, I’m forcing myself to drag myself to uni and honestly every module from clinical sessions to workshops to communication lessons is exhausting.

Now I’ve always had a keen interest in psychology. But I’m worried if I do drop out of med school, would the uni I’m re applying to hold it against me as a medicine dropout? Would I be penalized against it?

I’m sorry about the long rant :frown: just feeling helpless rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending