The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economics at university

So i just learnt that getting into economics at lSE is harder than oxbridge and further more they like you to have further maths or atleast youll find it easier than if you took just maths like me since i did maths geography and economics . But i think it would be alright if i learnt the content in further maths that would be needed for econ at uni since im sure not all the stuff in further isnt needed . If anyone has any experience can they tell me what topics in further would i need to know or will be helpful for econ at a good uni like lse.
Reply 1
Original post by joelj0018
So i just learnt that getting into economics at lSE is harder than oxbridge and further more they like you to have further maths or atleast youll find it easier than if you took just maths like me since i did maths geography and economics . But i think it would be alright if i learnt the content in further maths that would be needed for econ at uni since im sure not all the stuff in further isnt needed . If anyone has any experience can they tell me what topics in further would i need to know or will be helpful for econ at a good uni like lse.

Economics & management at Oxford has a lower offer rate than Economics at LSE.

Anyone can say that they're learning the content on the side, fact is that LSE expect you to take it if it's available to you. If you are up for it, then take the full A-level.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Something like 95% of successful applicants to LSE single honours economics have AS or A-level Further Maths. Suffice to say, they will expect you to be taking it unless your academic referee specifically states in their reference that your school doesn't offer it. You will not be competitive without it, as the course is so vastly oversubscribed they have no need to take people without it unless it's clear they weren't able to take it for reasons outside of their control and present an extremely strong application otherwise.

In general the most common part of further maths likely to come up in an economics degree is everything to do with matrices and linear algebra, plus anything with infinite series. Possibly also some aspects of the calculus (more differential calculus content than anything really integration focused), and maybe some passing acquaintance with differential equations would be handy. Also the elements of proof introduced in it may be useful background. Of course as above, this is somewhat moot if you aren't taking it anyway as it's extremely unlikely you would get an offer...

Edexcel is the most popular exam board. You have to sit CP1, CP2 and the most common options are FM1 & FD1, FS1 & FM1 and FM1 & FM2.

I sat in the LSE library with a BSc Economics student and saw his first-year work and the vast majority of it was Further Maths. :smile: So you really do need Further Maths for LSE.

Further Mechanics 1 is quite straightforward and very similar to the old M2 module and Further Mechanics 2 is mostly M2, M3 and M4 and one topic of M5. So there are a lot of past papers available.

Also, don't forget Further Decision 1 is an easy module to gain marks, but you might want to do Further Statistics 1 as it will help you with LSE Economics Maths modules.

To do Further Maths, you can register as a candidate at Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London. It is a short walk from High Street Kensington tube station. It costs £350 to register.

If you need the textbooks, I have all the eBooks and can send the URLs to you. :wink:

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register

Core Pure 1 & Core Pure 2
Proof
Complex numbers
Matrices
Further algebra and functions
Further calculus
Further vectors
Polar coordinates
Hyperbolic functions
Differential equations

Further Statistics 1
Discrete probability distributions
Poisson & binomial distributions
Geometric and negative binomial distributions
Hypothesis Testing
Central Limit Theorem
Chi-Squared Tests
Probability generating functions
Quality of tests

Further Mechanics 1
Momentum and impulse
Work, energy and power
Elastic strings and springs and elastic energy
Elastic collisions in one dimension
Elastic collisions in two dimensions

Further Mechanics 2
Motion in a circle
Centres of mass of plane figures
Further centres of mass
Further dynamics
Further kinematics

Further Decision Maths 1
Algorithms and graph theory
Algorithms on graphs
Algorithms on graphs II
Critical path analysis
Linear programming

Here are the admissions statistics for those with and without Further Maths:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admission_data_for_lse_economics
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
Edexcel is the most popular exam board. You have to sit CP1, CP2 and the most common options are FM1 & FD1, FS1 & FM1 and FM1 & FM2.

I sat in the LSE library with a BSc Economics student and saw his first-year work and the vast majority of it was Further Maths. :smile: So you really do need Further Maths for LSE.

Further Mechanics 1 is quite straightforward and very similar to the old M2 module and Further Mechanics 2 is mostly M2, M3 and M4 and one topic of M5. So there are a lot of past papers available.

Also, don't forget Further Decision 1 is an easy module to gain marks, but you might want to do Further Statistics 1 as it will help you with LSE Economics Maths modules.

To do Further Maths, you can register as a candidate at Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London. It is a short walk from High Street Kensington tube station. It costs £350 to register.

If you need the textbooks, I have all the eBooks and can send the URLs to you. :wink:

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register

Core Pure 1 & Core Pure 2
Proof
Complex numbers
Matrices
Further algebra and functions
Further calculus
Further vectors
Polar coordinates
Hyperbolic functions
Differential equations

Further Statistics 1
Discrete probability distributions
Poisson & binomial distributions
Geometric and negative binomial distributions
Hypothesis Testing
Central Limit Theorem
Chi-Squared Tests
Probability generating functions
Quality of tests

Further Mechanics 1
Momentum and impulse
Work, energy and power
Elastic strings and springs and elastic energy
Elastic collisions in one dimension
Elastic collisions in two dimensions

Further Mechanics 2
Motion in a circle
Centres of mass of plane figures
Further centres of mass
Further dynamics
Further kinematics

Further Decision Maths 1
Algorithms and graph theory
Algorithms on graphs
Algorithms on graphs II
Critical path analysis
Linear programming

Here are the admissions statistics for those with and without Further Maths:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admission_data_for_lse_economics

Hello Thank you very much for this info but unfortunately i have already started my sixth form as im in year 12,so Campbell college is kinda late now ,i chose alevel maths however even if i did choose FM i would have failed at it .
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello Thank you very much for this info but unfortunately i have already started my sixth form as im in year 12,so Campbell college is kinda late now ,i chose alevel maths however even if i did choose FM i would have failed at it .

Without Further Maths, you really don't stand a chance at Cambridge, LSE and Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest