The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

BTP Application

Hi!! I applied to British transport police for an intelligence researcher role and got invited to an interview. Can someone who has been through this process give me some good tips and useful advice as I am really interested in this role want to do my best in the interview process. I believe the interview is skills and competency based so I have researched these specifically for the role but any additional advice would be great! Thank you!
Original post by incog_lye
Hi!! I applied to British transport police for an intelligence researcher role and got invited to an interview. Can someone who has been through this process give me some good tips and useful advice as I am really interested in this role want to do my best in the interview process. I believe the interview is skills and competency based so I have researched these specifically for the role but any additional advice would be great! Thank you!

I think there's application guidance on their website if you've not already checked that out, should be accessible from their home page. Not sure how useful it is for the one you're applying for, but it does talk about what might come next and about their "competency and values framework" or CVF which there's a link to on their website too

My careers advisor at uni basically told me to answer competency questions using the STAR method, which I think really helped me structure my answers for other job interviews I've applied for. I suggest using that too for any CVF question they might have, like "tell us a time you worked with and supported a team" or something like "give an example of a time you used critical thinking". It might be helpful to think of a few examples for each, and practice how you'd answer them

S = Situation
T = Task
A = Action
R = Result

I think that trying to link back to their 4 main values in your answers might be useful too

I hope this helps! Best of luck with the interview, I hope it goes well and that you get the job! :smile:
Reply 2
Hellooo, how did the interview go? I actually have an interview for the same role and I was wondering if there’s any further advice that you could perhaps provide? I’m really interested in the role, it could potentially be my first job after graduating!
Reply 3
had my interview today for this role, how did you get on? I really didn’t find it as bad as expected 6 questions 5 which are assessed, they said I did well but just have to wait and see whether I land the job or not

I work in the Police service, and all interviews in this job are competency-based.
Therefore I suggest and recommend you take a look at College of Policing's Competency and Values Framework (CVF), as this is what all Police forces including BTP work towards.

https://assets.college.police.uk/s3fs-public/2020-11/competency-and-values-framework-for-policing_4.11.16.pdf
Reply 5
Hello everyone,
BTP job,
I’ve failed online assessments. How fast should I answer and what’s the passing rate. I am so demotivated as I did not expect to have only 10 min for each assessment. Did anyone else passed/failed and any tips to improve?
Thanks

Latest