The Student Room Group
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University

M.Sc. Renewable at Cranfield or Sustainability & Energy transmission at RGU

Hi all
I have an offer from Cranfield for M.Sc. renewable and I have also applied at RGU for Sustainability & Energy.
I am confused as RGU is cheaper and is in a bigger city where my wife who has masters in civil can get a job. whereas Cranfield seems better in terms of studies any advise is welcome
Original post by Jamimn
Hi all
I have an offer from Cranfield for M.Sc. renewable and I have also applied at RGU for Sustainability & Energy.
I am confused as RGU is cheaper and is in a bigger city where my wife who has masters in civil can get a job. whereas Cranfield seems better in terms of studies any advise is welcome

Hi Jamimn!

First of all, congrats on the offer!

Have you looked at funding opportunities related to your course?
Cranfield offers many opportunities, some of which you will probably be eligible for (depending on gender, citizenship, educational history, etc). For the Renewable Energy MSc, there's the Renewable Energy Professor's Scholarship, Cranfield International Arrivals Bursary, Cranfield University GREAT Scholarships, British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM, NetZero Scholarship, The Cranfield Scholarship, Santander Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Countries, Chevening Scholarships, and many others!
You can filter these by what you are eligible for using the Funding Finder:
http://search.cranfield.ac.uk/s/search.html?f.Funding+Theme|theme=Energy+and+Power&query=&profile=_default&clive=cranfield-funding&collection=cranfield-meta&f.Tabs|cranfield-funding=Funding&_ga=2.239579463.511819115.1647334864-1900595426.1645527939&_gac=1.54451930.1647507683.Cj0KCQjwuMuRBhCJARIsAHXdnqO07c1VJOmcZhuUdOCsvvascMJ3BiZ1RdZYL2URLUfbn3pYuuAMnMAaAkCfEALw_wcB
If you need additional help, or want more detail on anything, you should contact Student finance by emailing [email protected].

Cranfield is in a rural area, but is also about an hour from London (many people enjoy weekend trips). You also don't have to live on campus or in Cranfield village, both Milton Keynes and Bedford are larger towns with more nightlife, shops, and choices for entertainment. The trip in would then be about 20-30 mins on a bus.
They have some really fun activities there, personally I love the escape rooms but also there's indoor skiing and skydiving, cinemas, shopping centres, etc.
In Cranfield itself, we have a lot of clubs and societies that you could join to meet people and have a fun time on campus. Here's a list of our current ones:
https://mycsa.org.uk/clubs-and-societies/clubs-societies-cranfield-campus/
We also have a place run by the Cranfield Student's Association (CSA) that is a great place ot grab some breakfast, coffee, or lunch in the day, and then turns into a bar in the evenings for a drink after lectures.

If you have any questions about what it's like to live and study in Cranfield, I'd be happy to answer any questions!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University
Reply 2
Thank you for your response as i had posted in orginal question I will be traveling with my family wife and 2 year old daughter. my wife has a masters in civil and most of her experience is in material testing can u suggest if their are any such organizations near by where she can apply.
Also about family accomdtion what are your suggestions
Original post by Jamimn
Thank you for your response as i had posted in orginal question I will be traveling with my family wife and 2 year old daughter. my wife has a masters in civil and most of her experience is in material testing can u suggest if their are any such organizations near by where she can apply.
Also about family accomdtion what are your suggestions

This isn't my area of expertise (I'm a biologist) but I suggest looking at the opportunities available around Milton Keynes for your wife. I know many people in the surrounding areas who work in automotive engineering, so that may be a good place to look?

For family accommodation, there are on-campus options for families. The details of these are here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/life-on-campus/life-at-cranfield/accommodation/family-homes

You can also look at StudentPad to find places that may be closer to your wife's workplace, like Milton Keynes or Bedford.
https://www.cranfieldstudentpad.co.uk/Accommodation

You still have the 'traditional' options of letting agents or searching online, but these are the most popular options for students!

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, and feel free to drop any more below :smile:
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Reply 4
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest