The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology Unified biology H420/03 - 24 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the OCR A Level Biology Unified biology H420/03 exam go for you?

OCR A Level Biology Paper 3: Unified Biology H420/03 - 24 Jun 2022

-Exam Chat Thread-

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... This is the place to be

Feel free to chat about your exam, add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

H420/03 Paper 3 1h30 24 June 2022 pm

Resources

Specification: OCR- Biology A H420

Advance information: OCR - Biology A H420

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi guys! if u have any questions about bio content let me know and i'll try my best to explain :smile:
Reply 2
you know about the reflex topic in 5.5, how much are we required about the Knee Jerk reflex? just that the quadriceps contracts while the hamstring relaxes so that the leg extends, or more in depth into which relay neurone inhibits what etc? I was just a bit confused as the textbooks go into a lot of detail, whereas the spec says just to be aware of it?
Original post by upomm1
you know about the reflex topic in 5.5, how much are we required about the Knee Jerk reflex? just that the quadriceps contracts while the hamstring relaxes so that the leg extends, or more in depth into which relay neurone inhibits what etc? I was just a bit confused as the textbooks go into a lot of detail, whereas the spec says just to be aware of it?

Just know what neurones are involved and that its a spinal response
Patellar muscle is stimulated which stretches the extensor muscles, reflex arc impulse is passed along sensory neurone to spinal cord ,
From here sensory neurone passes it to the motor neurone which causes extensor muscle to contract
Also sensory neurony passes it to the relay neurone which inhibits another motor neurone causing flexor muscle to relax and we have the kick
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/A-level/Topic-Qs/OCR-A/5-Communication-Homeostasis-and-Energy/5.1-Communication-and-Homeostasis/Set-B/Plant and Animal Responses 1 QP.pdfHi in this link, one of the questions is Describe how three named components of the elbow joint interact to bring about hinge movement (bending of the arm).” Are we expected to know this for the new OCR A specification, since a lot of topic papers for Plant and Animal responses seem to include it quite a bit?
Original post by muzusa
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/A-level/Topic-Qs/OCR-A/5-Communication-Homeostasis-and-Energy/5.1-Communication-and-Homeostasis/Set-B/Plant and Animal Responses 1 QP.pdfHi in this link, one of the questions is Describe how three named components of the elbow joint interact to bring about hinge movement (bending of the arm).” Are we expected to know this for the new OCR A specification, since a lot of topic papers for Plant and Animal responses seem to include it quite a bit?

im pretty sure we do need to know it
Original post by muzusa
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/A-level/Topic-Qs/OCR-A/5-Communication-Homeostasis-and-Energy/5.1-Communication-and-Homeostasis/Set-B/Plant and Animal Responses 1 QP.pdfHi in this link, one of the questions is Describe how three named components of the elbow joint interact to bring about hinge movement (bending of the arm).” Are we expected to know this for the new OCR A specification, since a lot of topic papers for Plant and Animal responses seem to include it quite a bit

I’ve never done anything about it because I haven’t seen it on the spec
Original post by muzusa

Surely that's just about muscles etc? e.g. biceps brachii pulls on the radius and force is applied through a tendon or similar?
Reply 8
Original post by bea_murray0
Surely that's just about muscles etc? e.g. biceps brachii pulls on the radius and force is applied through a tendon or similar?

I think these are old spec qs bcs our spec doesn't include this I'm pretty sure
Original post by upomm1
I think these are old spec qs bcs our spec doesn't include this I'm pretty sure

I mean it’s GCSE assumed knowledge or maybe applying the sliding filament model?
Original post by bea_murray0
I mean it’s GCSE assumed knowledge or maybe applying the sliding filament model?

not sliding filament model if they had to name arm bones etc, could be GCSE knowledge but then again I wouldn't expect to see full exam questions on it
Original post by upomm1
not sliding filament model if they had to name arm bones etc, could be GCSE knowledge but then again I wouldn't expect to see full exam questions on it

I didn't mean the sliding filament model specifically. but muscles is covered in the same part of the spec (5.1.5)
Is this ocr A 2022
Original post by 🧸medical hope
Is this ocr A 2022

Yep
For paper 3 now final push
For paper 3 now final push

Knew i would see u here
how we feeling about the last two exams and the upcoming one
Original post by Ayyaaax
Knew i would see u here
how we feeling about the last two exams and the upcoming one

Lol love that I instantly just leave the last threads. Coz I don’t wanna be seeing people comparing answers and then ur doubt urself the thing is comparing my time this year doing exams compared to last year I feel like I’ve done better coz I don’t walk out of the exam with this bad gut feeling. But then again from what I’ve heard from school people r saying they liked the exam so grade boundaries defo gonna be high
Like I get proper sick before my exams coz my anxiety just kicks in
Lol love that I instantly just leave the last threads. Coz I don’t wanna be seeing people comparing answers and then ur doubt urself the thing is comparing my time this year doing exams compared to last year I feel like I’ve done better coz I don’t walk out of the exam with this bad gut feeling. But then again from what I’ve heard from school people r saying they liked the exam so grade boundaries defo gonna be high

I’m going to try out your strategy to not look at the chat because it just messes me up, let’s hope the grade boundaries don’t go up too much
Original post by Ayyaaax
I’m going to try out your strategy to not look at the chat because it just messes me up, let’s hope the grade boundaries don’t go up too much

I can’t lie I feel like they r gonna be high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending