The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2: 9PL0 02 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 2: UK Government and Non-core Political Ideas 9PL0 02 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

-Exam Chat Thread-

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... This is the place to be

Feel free to chat about your exam, add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

9PL0 02 Paper 2 2h 9 June 2022 am

Resources

Specification: Edexcel - Politics 9PL0

Advance Information: Edexcel - Politics 9PL0

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,I’m really confused about the advance information on paper 2.Does anyone have any idea of any essay questions which I can base my revision around?Thank you so much xxx
(sorry for the layout, student room guidelines won't let me sort it!)
APPROACHES IN PSYCHOLOGY (3 x topics)
DO NOT REVISE:Wundt - GONE!The Cognitive Approach - GONE!The Biological Approach - GONE!Comparison of approaches - GONE!REVISE ALL OF THIS!:
Learning approaches: the behaviourist approach, including classical conditioning and Pavlov’s research, operant conditioning, types of reinforcement and Skinner’s research; social learning theory including imitation, identification, modelling, vicarious reinforcement, the role of mediational processes and Bandura’s research.Example Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the behaviourist approach in psychology (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSUREExample Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the social learning theory approach. Refer to the behaviourist approach as part of your evaluation (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSURE The psychodynamic approach: the role of the unconscious, the structure of personality, that is Id, Ego and Superego, defence mechanisms including repression, denial and displacement, psychosexual stages. Example Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the psychodynamic approach (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSUREHumanistic psychology: free will, self-actualisation and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, focus on the self, congruence, the role of conditions of worth. The influence on counselling psychology Example Essay Title: Outline assumptions in humanistic psychology. Discuss how humanistic psychology is different from other approaches within psychology (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSURE
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rachael1!1
(sorry for the layout, student room guidelines won't let me sort it!)
APPROACHES IN PSYCHOLOGY (3 x topics)
DO NOT REVISE:Wundt - GONE!The Cognitive Approach - GONE!The Biological Approach - GONE!Comparison of approaches - GONE!REVISE ALL OF THIS!:
Learning approaches: the behaviourist approach, including classical conditioning and Pavlov’s research, operant conditioning, types of reinforcement and Skinner’s research; social learning theory including imitation, identification, modelling, vicarious reinforcement, the role of mediational processes and Bandura’s research.Example Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the behaviourist approach in psychology (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSUREExample Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the social learning theory approach. Refer to the behaviourist approach as part of your evaluation (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSURE The psychodynamic approach: the role of the unconscious, the structure of personality, that is Id, Ego and Superego, defence mechanisms including repression, denial and displacement, psychosexual stages. Example Essay Title: Outline and evaluate the psychodynamic approach (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSUREHumanistic psychology: free will, self-actualisation and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, focus on the self, congruence, the role of conditions of worth. The influence on counselling psychology Example Essay Title: Outline assumptions in humanistic psychology. Discuss how humanistic psychology is different from other approaches within psychology (16 marks)ESSAY PLAN COMLETED YES/NOHow confident am I with this topic? SUPER CONFIDENT/UNSURE

I hate to say it, but this is the Politics thread, not the Psychology one. I do psychology though so thanks for the tips :smile:
Do you guys understand the advanced info for the constitution to point to a question on devolution?

My teacher seems to think they could still ask a question on 1.2, but i think the fact they only kept 1.3 (devolution) indicates that they must ask a question on it
looks like there's likely to be a question on each topic in the first 2 papers
This is the essay bank we got for paper 2

Unit 2 - UK Government
[the following may appear either as ‘pure’ essays or as ‘source’ essays]

2.1 - Constitution
Evaluate the view that devolution in the UK has been a success [30]
Evaluate the view that devolution in England should be extended further [30]
Evaluate the view that devolution has made the UK more democratic [30]
Evaluate the view that devolution in the UK should be extended further [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK constitution requires urgent reform [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK should introduce a Bill of Rights [30]

2.2 - Parliament
Evaluate the view that the Commons is always more powerful than the Lords [30]
Evaluate the view that the legislative process in the UK is effective [30]
Evaluate the view that backbenchers in both the Commons and Lords play a significant role in Parliament’s interactions with the executive [30]
Evaluate the view that select committees have little impact on the executive [30]
Evaluate the view that HM Opposition is the most important Parliamentary check on the British executive [30]
Evaluate the view that Parliament is successful at holding the executive to account [30]

2.3 - PM and Executive
Evaluate the view that the principles of individual and collective ministerial responsibility are insufficiently upheld in the UK [30]

2.4 - Supreme Court
Evaluate the view that the Supreme Court effectively protects rights and liberties in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court is a neutral and independent judiciary [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court upholds Parliamentary sovereignty [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court is capable of holding an over-powerful executive in check [30]
Evaluate the view that the Supreme Court is more significant than Parliament and pressure groups for protecting rights in the UK [30]
Original post by MissBookLover25

Unit 2 - UK Government

2.1 - Constitution

2.2 - Parliament
Evaluate the view that backbenchers in both the Commons and Lords play a significant role in Parliament’s interactions with the executive [30]
Evaluate the view that select committees have little impact on the executive [30]
Evaluate the view that HM Opposition is the most important Parliamentary check on the British executive [30]
Evaluate the view that Parliament is successful at holding the executive to account [30]

2.3 - PM and Executive
Evaluate the view that the principles of individual and collective ministerial responsibility are insufficiently upheld in the UK [30]

2.4 - Supreme Court
Evaluate the view that the Supreme Court effectively protects rights and liberties in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court is a neutral and independent judiciary [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court upholds Parliamentary sovereignty [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court is capable of holding an over-powerful executive in check [30]
Evaluate the view that the Supreme Court is more significant than Parliament and pressure groups for protecting rights in the UK [30]

Do you have one for Components One

Unit 2 - UK Government

2.1 - Constitution

2.2 - Parliament

2.3 - PM and Executive

2.4 - Supreme Court

Can you post the Paper 1 one on the other thread?
hi does the paper 1 thread work for you guys I cant access it
Original post by ells0330
hi does the paper 1 thread work for you guys I cant access it

same
Original post by arisamalao59
Do you have one for Components One

I can't access the paper 1 thread either but I'll post it here

Unit 1 - UK Politics
[The following may appear either as ‘pure’ essays or as ‘source’ essays]

1.1 - Democracy and Participation
Evaluate the view that insider status is the most important determinant of pressure group success [30]
Evaluate the view that the methods adopted by a pressure group are the most important determinant of their success [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups, think tanks, and lobbyists undermine the democratic quality of politics in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups, think tanks, and lobbyists have a substantial effect on government and Parliament in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups are more effective at securing and protecting civil liberties and rights than Parliament in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that rights are well-protected and secure in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that ‘individual rights’ are considered less important than ‘collective rights’ in the UK [30]

1.2 - Political Parties
Evaluate the view that the Labour Party is more united than it is divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Conserative Party is more united than it is divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Liberal Democrats are more united than they are divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Labour Party adheres to ‘New Labour’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that the Conservative Party adheres to ‘One Nation’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that the Liberal Democrats adhere to ‘Orange Book’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that minor parties have little impact on politics in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that minor parties have become more significant since 2010 [30]
Evaluate the view that party leadership is the most important determinant of party success in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the influence of the media is the most important determinant of party success in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK now has a multi-party system [30]

1.3 - Electoral Systems
Evaluate the view that FPTP is not fit for purpose in General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that FPTP should be replaced by a proportional electoral system in UK General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that systems for devolved elections in the UK are superior to those used in UK General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that the use of proportional systems in devolved areas of the UK have been successful and effective in achieving their aims [30]
Evaluate the view that proportional systems produce ‘better’ government than FPTP [30]

1.4 - Media and elections
Evaluate the view that ‘traditional’ forms of media are becoming less influential in shaping political outcomes in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the media plays an important role in outcomes in UK election general elections [30]
Evaluate the view that the media plays a more important role than pressure groups in shaping political outcomes in the UK between General Elections [30]
I can't access the paper 1 thread either but I'll post it here

Unit 1 - UK Politics
[The following may appear either as ‘pure’ essays or as ‘source’ essays]

1.1 - Democracy and Participation
Evaluate the view that insider status is the most important determinant of pressure group success [30]
Evaluate the view that the methods adopted by a pressure group are the most important determinant of their success [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups, think tanks, and lobbyists undermine the democratic quality of politics in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups, think tanks, and lobbyists have a substantial effect on government and Parliament in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that pressure groups are more effective at securing and protecting civil liberties and rights than Parliament in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that rights are well-protected and secure in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that ‘individual rights’ are considered less important than ‘collective rights’ in the UK [30]

1.2 - Political Parties
Evaluate the view that the Labour Party is more united than it is divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Conserative Party is more united than it is divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Liberal Democrats are more united than they are divided [30]
Evaluate the view that the Labour Party adheres to ‘New Labour’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that the Conservative Party adheres to ‘One Nation’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that the Liberal Democrats adhere to ‘Orange Book’ principles [30]
Evaluate the view that minor parties have little impact on politics in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that minor parties have become more significant since 2010 [30]
Evaluate the view that party leadership is the most important determinant of party success in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the influence of the media is the most important determinant of party success in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the UK now has a multi-party system [30]

1.3 - Electoral Systems
Evaluate the view that FPTP is not fit for purpose in General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that FPTP should be replaced by a proportional electoral system in UK General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that systems for devolved elections in the UK are superior to those used in UK General Elections [30]
Evaluate the view that the use of proportional systems in devolved areas of the UK have been successful and effective in achieving their aims [30]
Evaluate the view that proportional systems produce ‘better’ government than FPTP [30]

1.4 - Media and elections
Evaluate the view that ‘traditional’ forms of media are becoming less influential in shaping political outcomes in the UK [30]
Evaluate the view that the media plays an important role in outcomes in UK election general elections [30]
Evaluate the view that the media plays a more important role than pressure groups in shaping political outcomes in the UK between General Elections [30]

Thank you. Are these from your teacher?
Original post by CuriousO
Thank you. Are these from your teacher?

No worries and yep they're from my teacher
No worries and yep they're from my teacher

Thank you so much. And sorry to be annoying but do you have any for Paper 3, my school does America? xxx
Original post by arisamalao59
Thank you so much. And sorry to be annoying but do you have any for Paper 3, my school does America? xxx

No worries but no I unfortunately don't have any for paper 3 because we do global politics in our school, not Amercia
Ah okay, thank you though x
I do global politics. Do you mind sharing the possible essay questions for paper 3 please? Thanks!
No worries but no I unfortunately don't have any for paper 3 because we do global politics in our school, not Amercia
Does anyone have any feminism essay plans??
hi, can anyone post any usef resources for paper 2 and nationalism please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending