UKMT Maclaurin Olympiad 2022: Maths

Watch this thread
Wormscarf67
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How did everyone find it? I didn't get q5 or 6, and was wondering if people had any insights?
epii+1=0
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Wormscarf67)
How did everyone find it? I didn't get q5 or 6, and was wondering if people had any insights?
(i don't think we're allowed to discuss olympiads yet cuz china still have to do it tomorrow)
rasem005
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Wormscarf67)
I struggled with the first few questions. I’d appreciate some help understanding how to do them?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As above, the exam over two days Thursday / Friday so pls dont discuss it.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cridplbn)
Is the exam over now because I would like to see which ones I got right.
Id guess so. They generally release paper/solutions the following day which would be Monday in this case, but the exam is over so ...
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I don't want to discuss it in detail yet until the paper and sols are out, but my solution for Q5 was not exactly inaccessible but it was pretty obscure (involving an interesting property of squares) - I assume there are more obvious ways of solving part (b), but I couldn't think of any alternative solutions. Q6 was easier imo but still a little tricky

edit: pretty sure its over so for q5 you can use the fact that b^2 and the two discriminants form an arithmetic sequence and for q6 a construction extending a line does the job
Last edited by _wxyz_; 3 months ago
Jam.123
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
What about for Q1? Me and the other person who did it from my school are both pretty sure it was impossible because the m% of water and losing (m-5)% of this to reach 50% water just doesn't work in our opinion
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jam.123)
What about for Q1? Me and the other person who did it from my school are both pretty sure it was impossible because the m% of water and losing (m-5)% of this to reach 50% water just doesn't work in our opinion
try m=80

4 parts water to 1 part fruit becomes 1:1
(this comes from the quadratic m^2 - 205m + 10000 btw)
Jam.123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
So m=80%:
80% - 80%(75%) = 20%

I feel like I'm just being stupid though
Last edited by Jam.123; 3 months ago
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
So m=80%:
80% - 80%(75%) = 20%

I feel like I'm just being stupid though
20% was the original weight of the non-water mass, so the new ratio is 1:1
Jam.123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _wxyz_)
20% was the original weight of the non-water mass, so the new ratio is 1:1
Ohhhh, I feel so stupid now because of forgetting to account for mass being lost altogether.
Thanks though
cardtricks
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
how did you get that quadratic?Personally, I got m^2 - 105m 5000 which yielded no results so i was unable to solve the problem
cardtricks
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cardtricks)
how did you get that quadratic?Personally, I got m^2 - 105m 5000 which yielded no results so i was unable to solve the problem
sry m^2 - 105m + 5000
Jam.123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
20m^2-41m+20=0 is the final quadratic you'd need

(Original post by cardtricks)
sry m^2 - 105m + 5000
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
what was the explanation behind 6, I only had a couple of minutes to comprehend it and the only instinct I had was to use the abc conjecture. Any explanations
extend DE hit the circle again at P and then triangles CEP and BPC are similar, which gives you that EC/CP = 1/2 and then since triangles DBE and CPE are similar so DE/DB = 1/2
Jam.123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
20m^2-41m+20=0 is the final quadratic you'd need
because m-m(m-0.05)=1-m
Cridplbn
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Is the exam over if so when do we get results?
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
For question 2 we’re the answers 0 and 1
can you remind me what q2 was?
_wxyz_
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Took a quick snap
yeah, pretty sure you're right (i assume you used parity proof)
Jam.123
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
expand (x+1)(x^2-x+1)
and then use this to find all the places where a power of two is one more than a cube
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.08%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (10)
10.42%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (4)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.21%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.58%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.17%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise