The Student Room Group

Does eating more help with fat loss?

I have seen people get lean after eating more food and wanted to know if eating more helps you look leaner/more toned? This obviously paired with consistent weight lifting.
Any tips to look more toned/leaner while building muscle if this is not there case?
Hey!

I'm not a dietician, GP, PT trainer, nor have I studied Nutrition, Fitness or Health in any manner. If you want the best advice on these subjects, consult a professional.

From what I know, which is very limited, to get lean you have to cut your maintenance calories, there are multiple calculators online to find your maintenance calories.

If you were to eat above your maintenance calories while trying to get lean, you'd have to lose more calories than you eat every day, this would involve a lot of cardio combined with weightlifting. The best way to get lean is to eat below your maintenance calories and eat healthy (greens, etc.)

There's multiple articles and people online who will be able to help you way more, talking to a PT or dietician would be best as they know HEAPS about this stuff.

Good luck in your journey.
Some friends have done this and lost a lot of weight.
Combining changing their diets to increase their protein & fibre content, reducing portion sizes per meal/snack, increasing daily exercise and sometimes intermittent fasting.
Slashing their consumption of refined sugar, salt, most red meat, saturated fats, booze and ultra-processed junk foods.
Reply 3
Original post by LaraMari16
I have seen people get lean after eating more food and wanted to know if eating more helps you look leaner/more toned? This obviously paired with consistent weight lifting.
Any tips to look more toned/leaner while building muscle if this is not there case?

Also not a dietician or anyone qualified about this stuff so definitely seek the advice of someone who knows about this stuff!! But from what I've learned from my brother (he's a bodybuilder and working towards a PT license), you have to eat more food in order to build muscle. This might mean that you appear a little bulkier in certain areas of your body whilst you're actively trying to build loads of muscle if you're overloading to give yourself loads of fuel, but this extra bulk would then be lost once you're happy with your muscle growth and start limiting calories more in order to lose the excess.

Bear in mind that the above is from a bodybuilder POV, so he is gaining a lot of muscle quite quickly by eating a MASSIVE amount of food (~3000 calories last I heard) as fuel and then getting very grouchy during his cuts as he is essentially limiting by ~1000 calories when he does this.

If you want a more sustainable and less yo-yo way of doing it, I'd recommend upping your protein intake as this will help build your muscles, and eat a healthy amount of food for your age/sex (people assigned male at birth will need more calories per day than people assigned female at birth). This will mean you build muscle (protein baybeee), but should be able to avoid the need to cut down calorie intake drastically in order to see the muscle.

But again, not a professional in any way so talk to someone in the biz if you're really keen on doing this! I will say this though, I personally have had massive issues with my eating in the past and so I know that it would be very triggering if I tried to bodybuild with the restrictive eating they do, so if you've had issues with food then be careful with this side of things :smile:
Original post by LaraMari16

When I cut i eat less, but i cut the calories more then volume (minimal carb intake, high protein).

I just go to 1 large meal per day with a small lunch and then snack on fruit, and also coupled to a mix of muscular strength & endurance lifting programs.

Quick Reply

Latest