The Student Room Group

would unis be okay with these alevels

okay so im thinking of taking maths, further maths, history and classical civilisations for my alevels but i'm worried that they might be seen as too similar.

I've seen some people say that some universities only see maths and further maths like one alevel. Is this common?

Also, would history and classical civs be okay to take together? would these be seen as too similar by universities and not appreciated together?

Especially if i take these 4 alevels, would universities (specifically russell group like durham) think they are too split in half?

thank you for any help!
I don't know about History and Classical Civ, I wouldn't think there's a problem, but don't worry about maths + fm. If you're applying for any mathematics or adjacent course, they will be recognised as distinct A-levels and you don't have reason to worry.

To talk about the edge cases a bit for completeness. The only degrees that I know take an issue with this (off the top of my head, I would have to check) is LSE's accounting and finance and some medicine courses. (which you wouldn't do anyway) There are probably others, but no maths/physics/CS/etc. courses will have a problem with it. This would only even be a problem if you dropped one of the non-maths A-levels. An even more obscure edge case: some Cambridge colleges exclude Maths from their offers and only offer on Further Maths and the other 2, but since you're not taking any third/fourth subjects that would be relevant to a science degree this almost certainly wouldn't happen.

Quick Reply

Latest