The Student Room Group

Job Opportunities for Fresh MSc Psychology (Conversion) graduates

Hi all,

I am someone with a non-psychology undergraduate degree and am interested in switching career to psychology, and I found that one would need to take a BPS-accredited conversion course as the first step to become a psychologist in the UK. I have gone through a number of providers of such conversion degrees, but they seem to have the common problem of being evasive when it comes to the "career / employability" section, in which they would allude to some future jobs that students could eventually get, but not what jobs do their graduates get immediately after completing the conversion degree, which seems to be a missing link to me because as I understand it, an MSc Psychology conversion graduate has to have some kind of related work experience before he/she would have a realistic chane to secure a place to complete the DClinPsy / DEdPsy / etc. requirement in order to be a full-fledged psychologist.

I am wondering if anyone here would be able to shed some light on what exactly lies ahead of those who has just completed the conversion course? What kind of jobs can an MSc Psychology conversion course graduate reasonably expect to get upon completing the course?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Aizak852
Hi all,

I am someone with a non-psychology undergraduate degree and am interested in switching career to psychology, and I found that one would need to take a BPS-accredited conversion course as the first step to become a psychologist in the UK. I have gone through a number of providers of such conversion degrees, but they seem to have the common problem of being evasive when it comes to the "career / employability" section, in which they would allude to some future jobs that students could eventually get, but not what jobs do their graduates get immediately after completing the conversion degree, which seems to be a missing link to me because as I understand it, an MSc Psychology conversion graduate has to have some kind of related work experience before he/she would have a realistic chane to secure a place to complete the DClinPsy / DEdPsy / etc. requirement in order to be a full-fledged psychologist.

I am wondering if anyone here would be able to shed some light on what exactly lies ahead of those who has just completed the conversion course? What kind of jobs can an MSc Psychology conversion course graduate reasonably expect to get upon completing the course?

Completing this course would make you eligible to apply for Assistant Psychologist roles, which would count as that 'relevant experience' the doctorate courses look for. You could also apply for Research Assistant roles. Relevant work experience is generally seen as work that involves working with client groups that Psychologists might work with, and work that involves working alongside Psychologists. As an example, my work experience (beginning during my Psychology BSc) has been: Learning disability support worker, volunteer research assistant, mental health support worker in the NHS, complex case worker with people with substance misuse issues and Assistant Psychologist in the same drug and alcohol service. My doctorate applications were unsuccessful this year, but I will re-apply for next year. I also did counselling training alongside my other studies and work, so am now also a trainee counsellor alongside my AP role.

Psychology due to it's broad nature doesn't lead to high paying jobs straight out of the gate. (e.g. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/graduates-face-tougher-job-hunt-after-psychology-and-business-degrees-data-suggests-cpbr0bpmb). There are A LOT of psychology graduates, and almost every desireable directly related post requires postgraduate study and/or a competitive training pathway before you start being able to make a decent salary.

The kinds of jobs you can reasonably expect to gain on graduating with an undergrad degree won't pay much on the whole, but that will depend on your own capabilities, contacts and networks. If you have great connections, that will be a different story.
I did a conversion, then an MSc in Forensic Psychology and work as a HCA in a secure forensic hospital
Reply 4
Original post by Nerol
Completing this course would make you eligible to apply for Assistant Psychologist roles, which would count as that 'relevant experience' the doctorate courses look for. You could also apply for Research Assistant roles. Relevant work experience is generally seen as work that involves working with client groups that Psychologists might work with, and work that involves working alongside Psychologists. As an example, my work experience (beginning during my Psychology BSc) has been: Learning disability support worker, volunteer research assistant, mental health support worker in the NHS, complex case worker with people with substance misuse issues and Assistant Psychologist in the same drug and alcohol service. My doctorate applications were unsuccessful this year, but I will re-apply for next year. I also did counselling training alongside my other studies and work, so am now also a trainee counsellor alongside my AP role.

Hi Nerol,

Thanks for your sharing and wish you all the best in your re-application to the doctorate next year!

It seems that for people taking the MSc Psychology conversion course who does not have a BSc Psychology degree prior, it's more realistic to aim at jobs you've done during your BSc years (since I read that Assistant Psychologist roles are also competitive, and the ones I found all required some prior clinical experience, which is something that an MSc Psychology conversion course students probably won't have).
Reply 5
Original post by bones-mccoy
I did a conversion, then an MSc in Forensic Psychology and work as a HCA in a secure forensic hospital

I see. Would you say that it's more common for conversion course graduates to go straight to another MSc course than to try to find work straight out of the conversion course?
I see. Would you say that it's more common for conversion course graduates to go straight to another MSc course than to try to find work straight out of the conversion course?

Probably yes, as you'd need another qualification to become a psychologist and that's normally the end goal for most who do a conversion course
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest