The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele shared Flat/house accommodation

Hi,

I wondered if the shared house/flat accommodation felt like student halls?

Many thanks :smile:
Hi @MarshmallowStars!

It depends on which accommodation you go into and who you're living with I think. I've always commuted to Keele - so I can't comment on accommodation on campus or in the surrounding area - however, I lived both in university halls and in shared private accommodation during my undergraduate degree at Aberystwyth and I can offer my experiences of those.

When I was in halls, I lived in traditional style accommodation that had 26 rooms to a floor with shared bathrooms/kitchens. As it was a catered halls, the kitchens were never particularly busy. Living in a traditional halls suited me because, as someone who was quite shy, I was keen to meet a variety of people when I went to university and sharing with so many others allowed me to do that. Communal areas in my halls were also cleaned daily by the university, so it was nice not to have to worry about stinky bathrooms or kitchens, or to have arguments with flatmates over whose turn it was to do the washing up!

In my second year, I moved off campus and lived with four other students I'd met in my first year. That was quite different because we were suddenly responsible for the upkeep of a whole house - so we had to come to some arrangements about sharing cleaning, house rules etc.

I enjoyed both experiences for different reasons. In my first year, it was nice to meet lots of people and to not have to worry about looking after anything other than my own room. By my second year, I was ready to live with a smaller group of friends and have our own communal space.

Ultimately the experience you get will largely depend on the accommodation you choose and who you share it with. Some of Keele's on-campus accommodation is more 'traditional' whilst some of our newer blocks are set up along the lines of a shared house/apartment. You can find out more at https://www.keele.ac.uk/accommodation/ouraccommodation/?msclkid=961b94b5bbf311ecbc83201543b43ed2.

Hope that helps but if you have any follow-up queries, please let me know!

Amy
(edited 2 years ago)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Hi @MarshmallowStars!
Just to add on to what Amy has said, I currently live in the shared flats/houses that Keele offers as on campus accommodation. In my experience they definitely feel the same as student halls - the main difference is just that you're sharing with a smaller number of people.
In my first 2 years at Keele I lived in what is more traditional student halls and I loved the experience of living in them and sharing with a big group of people. I felt that it allowed me to meet a lot of people quickly and I enjoyed having people coming and going all the time.
However, I'm also really loving living in the shared flat this year. I think one of the benefits of the shared flat is having a smaller number of people so it is often quieter and in my experience you can also sometimes get to know the people you're living with better. Some of the flats are also located within blocks of about 4 different shared flats which lets you get to know everyone else that is in your building as well.
In my opinion the shared flats have the same feeling as the other student halls on campus and they are also located within the same areas as the other halls so you're close to everyone and everything else on campus.
Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions you have about accommodation at Keele!
Lucy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest