The Student Room Group

Art GCSE Year 10 final exam

Hi! I’m a Year 10 Art student and I’ve had a really rough time with art so far, primarily because my Art teacher is a really really bad one. She hasn’t given any of us homework or guidance throughout the whole year, so practically the entire class is behind on coursework.

We have an end-of-year practical exam coming up (not the full 10 hours, this practice one is just 4) and she just told us that we’re not allowed to use ANY OF OUR COURSEWORK. We have to start an entire new project from scratch. Based on the stimulus. In brand new sketchbooks.

If this is true then I had better get to work lol - we only have four weeks. I just wanted to check on here first because a) a lot of the art students I’ve been taking inspiration from online seem to have been using their coursework to work towards their final exam?? and b) I’m not sure about my art teacher just in general, so I don’t want to put too much emphasis on her words.

Is it true that we have to produce an entirely new sketchbook? My coursework was going in the direction of working towards a final project, but I’ve just been told that I’m not allowed to use any of it.

Am very worried and confused. I would appreciate any advice from someone who has done the new exam or is currently doing it :smile: thank you!

Edit: you guys should also know that my Art teacher has told us a grand total of NOTHING about how the course is supposed to work or what we’re supposed to hand in at the end of it. We’ve been thrown into the sea and told to swim the bloody Channel.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it's purely based on your teachers choice that you have to start a project from scratch but I've never heard of this happening as with all my projects out previous work has been experimenting and artist research ans THEN doing our own project whilst retaining what we learnt.
I'd say do your project how you were going to do it anyway. Just start in a new sketchbook and write all your ideas down and justify them based off of what you've done before?
There also may have been some miss communication based on what you're saying your teacher is like, so to be sure have a talk and ask if the project is entirely from scratch or if you can base it off previous work and ideas.
Edit: I apolagize I don't know much about gcse art, I'm currently at my last year of college doing art but from what I remember it's super similar.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Things have s been a bit different over the pandemic, but in a normal year (which everyone's assuming 2023 will be), Art GCSE is assessed by 2 elements:

The coursework you've been doing all the way through

The exam bit, where you are normally given the topic around the end of January and then have some weeks in which to prepare for producing your final piece in a 10 hour exam.

It sounds as though your teacher is giving you a practice run for doing 2. next year.

Quick Reply

Latest