Epic survival soundtracks (Gameplay with Baby Queen)

Watch this thread
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago

I'll be honest, survival games are not a genre I've had much experience with. The first game that sprang to my mind was Lost in Blue, for the Nintendo DS. I loved foraging for food and other resources, exploring the island etc., but could never get the hang of the stealth elements later on in the game, so didn't manage to complete it. :moon: And unfortunately, the OST isn't amazing. So I'll go for the only other game I've played (to my knowledge) that fits the same criteria: Minecraft.

Anyone here more familiar with the survival game genre? If so, share your favourite game tracks below!
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 4 months ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I'm also quite unfamiliar with survival games to be honest

However, I'd say that in a lot of games (dare I say most?) there is an element of survival embedded within the game's mechanism. You have to survive against a particular threat or competitor. So that mental process is perhaps still relevant regardless of whether or not this is a survival game?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm also quite unfamiliar with survival games to be honest

However, I'd say that in a lot of games (dare I say most?) there is an element of survival embedded within the game's mechanism. You have to survive against a particular threat or competitor. So that mental process is perhaps still relevant regardless of whether or not this is a survival game?
Yeah, I guess any game which can be lost could be argued to be survival! :laugh:

Survival games as a subgenre usually feature food and resource gathering, item crafting, finding shelter etc though, basically all the 'trapped on a deserted island' tropes. The titles mentioned in the episode synopsis definitely fit that - though I've not played ARK or Subnautica myself, I've seen plenty of playthroughs on YouTube.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Yeah, I guess any game which can be lost could be argued to be survival! :laugh:

Survival games as a subgenre usually feature food and resource gathering, item crafting, finding shelter etc though, basically all the 'trapped on a deserted island' tropes. The titles mentioned in the episode synopsis definitely fit that - though I've not played ARK or Subnautica myself, I've seen plenty of playthroughs on YouTube.
In terms of soundtracks then I'd be thinking music akin to Lord of the Rings for food and resource gathering?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
About to listen to this episode - thoughts to follow in ~1 hour

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Outward - Chersonese: Nice intro, definitely has an adventure / fantasy / exploration feel to it.

Grounded - Hedge: Dark, synthy goodness. :yy:

Subnautica - Into the Unknown: Mysterious, slightly ominous.

Stranded Deep - Main Theme: Similar to the previous track, but more to my tastes because of the violin.

ARK: Survival Evolved - The Overseer: That escalated quickly! :afraid:

Valheim - Welcome to Valheim: Nice enough.

Conan Exiles - Main Theme: Possibly my favourite so far, shame it was also one of the shortest!

State of Decay 2 - Hills of my Hometown: Slower, more sombre and melancholic. I like.

Don't Starve - Theme: I've never played this, but I enjoyed seeing others do on YouTube, YEARS ago, so I have plenty of nostalgia for it!

Frostpunk - Brave New World: Definitely feels colder than the others so far!

The Long Dark - The Travelers Destiny: Also cold, and a bit more bleak and lacking in hope than the previous track.

Rust - Descent: De(s)cent.

DayZ - Main Menu Theme: Not as creepy as I expected this game's main menu theme to sound!

Starbound - Europa: Okay ambient BGM, didn't do much for me.

Rimworld - Back to Work: This certainly got my attention back! Again, feel matches the title, sounds like a whole lot of something is about to be done.

Terraria - Jungle: Another game played by a lot of the YouTubers I watched back in the early 2010s; never really got into this one, though the music is fantastic.

Good playlist, covered a lot of the genre's big names, and had plenty of variation. :yy:
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 4 months ago
Aboredstudent4
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Outward - Chersonese: Nice intro, definitely has an adventure / fantasy / exploration feel to it.

Grounded - Hedge: Dark, synthy goodness. :yy:

Subnautica - Into the Unknown: Mysterious, slightly ominous.

Stranded Deep - Main Theme: Similar to the previous track, but more to my tastes because of the violin.

ARK: Survival Evolved - The Overseer: That escalated quickly! :afraid:

Valheim - Welcome to Valheim: Nice enough.

Conan Exiles - Main Theme: Possibly my favourite so far, shame it was also one of the shortest!

State of Decay 2 - Hills of my Hometown: Slower, more sombre and melancholic. I like.

Don't Starve - Theme: I've never played this, but I enjoyed seeing others do on YouTube, YEARS ago, so I have plenty of nostalgia for it!

Frostpunk - Brave New World: Definitely feels colder than the others so far!

The Long Dark - The Travelers Destiny: Also cold, and a bit more bleak and lacking in hope than the previous track.

Rust - Descent: De(s)cent.

DayZ - Main Menu Theme: Not as creepy as I expected this game's main menu theme to sound!

Starbound - Europa: Okay ambient BGM, didn't do much for me.

Rimworld - Back to Work: This certainly got my attention back! Again, feel matches the title, sounds like a whole lot of something is about to be done.

Terraria - Jungle: Another game played by a lot of the YouTubers I watched back in the early 2010s; never really got into this one, though the music is fantastic.

Good playlist, covered a lot of the genre's big names, and had plenty of variation. :yy:
Nah clearly plantera’s theme is better than the jungle theme tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.4%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (73)
51.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads