The Student Room Group

How do I break it to my mum and dad that I don't enjoy University and want to leave?

I am 18 and currently studying Biomedical Science (Foundation) and I really don't enjoy it. I just feel so frustrated and dull when I have to do pretty much any of the work. I have also done 2 mental health tests which have concluded that I have mild anxiety and depression even though I was just testing for whether I had ADHD or not.

My mum is a somewhat traditional nigerian who would prefer if I had a science job but is fine with me having a stable career and my dad is a pretty laid back guy who would be fine as long as its a career.

I have currently missed 4 assignments and cannot muster up the will to finish them for the resit deadlines. I constantly zone out in any lectures and feel like **** most days.

I just don't know how to explain to them: "I'm sorry I have basically wasted 1k on my first year on something I don't like"

I also have no idea what I would want to do when I move back in with either of them.
Reply 1
It would help to have plan B - use every support and welfare service on offer at Uni and work out what YOU want to do with your life outside of trying to please your parents.

I sense what you are doing at the moment is searching to validate why you have failed to put the work into submitting assignments? How did you come to a decision to study Biomedical science? You may be able to change course but it might be too late in the day to do so. Have you made contact with any tutor to get help? It is always easier to do nothing when there are difficult tasks or studies to do and that becomes cumulative and can be a habit. It doesn't matter what you do in life, if you don't give 200% you will never know what you are capable of.

So do some soul searching with independent support and know what you actually want to do. Your parents may bully you into doing what they want of you, but you need to know what you want first to hold your ground.

Good luck.
You need a plan B once you have that just say your not happy and are leaving that is not can I leave it’s I am leaving then look for something you think you’ll like one girl I know left to become an air stewardess after about 6 weeks and she’s pretty happy doing that now . So yeah good luck just do it quickly like ripping of a plaster as long as you mention your plan B your parents should support you.
Original post by Doddington
I am 18 and currently studying Biomedical Science (Foundation) and I really don't enjoy it. I just feel so frustrated and dull when I have to do pretty much any of the work. I have also done 2 mental health tests which have concluded that I have mild anxiety and depression even though I was just testing for whether I had ADHD or not.

My mum is a somewhat traditional nigerian who would prefer if I had a science job but is fine with me having a stable career and my dad is a pretty laid back guy who would be fine as long as its a career.

I have currently missed 4 assignments and cannot muster up the will to finish them for the resit deadlines. I constantly zone out in any lectures and feel like **** most days.

I just don't know how to explain to them: "I'm sorry I have basically wasted 1k on my first year on something I don't like"

I also have no idea what I would want to do when I move back in with either of them.

You're an adult, it's up to you what to do, just turn up at home and tell them it wasn't for you. They should be supportive no matter what.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly
It would help to have plan B - use every support and welfare service on offer at Uni and work out what YOU want to do with your life outside of trying to please your parents.

I sense what you are doing at the moment is searching to validate why you have failed to put the work into submitting assignments? How did you come to a decision to study Biomedical science? You may be able to change course but it might be too late in the day to do so. Have you made contact with any tutor to get help?

Thank you for the insight!

Quick Reply

Latest