The Student Room Group

How would u get into oxbridge for medicine

Or is it not worth applying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daan.m
Hey there,

Cambridge Med offer holder here.

Firstly biology and chemistry is a good idea (naturally). Secondly, if you're looking for a science subject for Cambridge then I wouldn't recommend psychology they tend to only consider bio/chem/phys/math/fmath as 'true sciences'. If you're taking psychology because you want to study psychology then great, but if you're taking it to impress Cambridge then don't.

In terms of maths, technically it's not needed, as they say on their website; however the majority of candidates have A-Level maths (or at least another science):

A Levels in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics, Mathematics.
Most applicants have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects. See College websites for details.
Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 95% of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 23% were successful in obtaining a place. Of the 4% of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, just 3% were successful in gaining a place. (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine)

Some colleges do actually require maths/another science (as in their statement above). Therefore if Cambridge Medicine is truly on your radar then I would opt for the third science.

However if you don't get on with maths, then simply don't take it. Don't put yourself through A-Level Maths solely to get into Cambridge Med as you may very well not get in. It's also worth noting that Maths GCSE to Maths A-Level is a big jump up. Why not stick with the two sciences and then apply to a different med school (most accept 2 sciences)… They all offer the same degree and Cambridge provides no employment advantage in Med (everyone applies to the NHS Foundation Programme).

By taking two sciences, you could do a subject you enjoy instead and also keep doors open should you change your mind about medicine.

Hey I really want to apply to Cambridge because I have heard that the teaching method there is really good & traditional, but I have don't bio, chem, Latin so would I have like no change of being accepted for medicine
Original post by username2130115
tbh you'd be better off applying to cambridge than oxford if you have good AS results (high ums) and not so good GCSEs

Hi what about if you didn't do great on gcse (you just a got a few 9s ) and for a levels you're predicted to get 3 a* but you didn't do all 3 sciences for medicine then are u gonna be rejected
Hey for medicine, what if u got into Cambridge and then went there for a year then could u apply to Oxford the next year and if u didn't get in can u still just continue your med studies at Cambridge or does it not work like that
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Roxibox123
Hey for medicine, what if u got into Cambridge and then went there for a year then could u apply to Oxford the next year and if u didn't get in can u still just continue your med studies at Cambridge or does it not work like that

Please stop bumping old threads, this one is 10 years old...

Also it doesn't work like that, medical schools normally will not consider applications from students at other medical schools, or who have previously started but not finished a medical degree for any reason. You go to one medical school and that's it - and where you study medicine does not matter, only that you get the medical degree.
Original post by artful_lounger
Please stop bumping old threads, this one is 10 years old...

Also it doesn't work like that, medical schools normally will not consider applications from students at other medical schools, or who have previously started but not finished a medical degree for any reason. You go to one medical school and that's it - and where you study medicine does not matter, only that you get the medical degree.

Okay right... sorry but what is actually with tsr. If I make a new thread, people are saying don't and just put it on one/ one that been done and if i do that, others are saying don't it's however many years old...

Why on Earth would you do that?:facepalm: It's not recommended to reject any offers from any medical school as there's no guarantee that you'll even get an offer in the next cycle. Also, dropping out of a medical school is a massive red flag as @artful_lounger mentioned.
You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge for any subject
(edited 1 year ago)
Okay right... sorry but what is actually with tsr. If I make a new thread, people are saying don't and just put it on one/ one that been done and if i do that, others are saying don't it's however many years old...

It's pretty simple.

Don't bump old threads - you won't get responses that way. If you want to restart the conversation, then start a new thread UNLESS there is already a current thread discussing the topic or asking the question you want to ask - in that case, you just contribute to that existing thread to avoid unnecessary duplication. See TSR's rules

Why is that complicated?
Hey I really want to apply to Cambridge because I have heard that the teaching method there is really good & traditional, but I have don't bio, chem, Latin so would I have like no change of being accepted for medicine

afaik Latin is no longer required for entry into Medicine or Dentistry at either Oxford or Cambridge

What do you mean by really good as they are GMC accreditied, they have to be to a standard. Also what attracts you traditional. T
Hi what about if you didn't do great on gcse (you just a got a few 9s ) and for a levels you're predicted to get 3 a* but you didn't do all 3 sciences for medicine then are u gonna be rejected

From Oxford - highly likely
Original post by the bear
afaik Latin is no longer required for entry into Medicine or Dentistry at either Oxford or Cambridge

I’m afraid no subject is required for dentistry at Oxford or Cambridge :nope:

Why? Ypu apply for the 5 or 6 year course not for each individual year. What year are you in?
Original post by the bear

You haven't needed Latin to get into Oxford since 1960.
Original post by _Rusty_
Why? Ypu apply for the 5 or 6 year course not for each individual year. What year are you in?

I think they just want to try their luck and have both Cambridge and Oxford on their CV :dontknow:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I think they just want to try their luck and have both Cambridge and Oxford on their CV :dontknow:

I think OP is thinking that for year 1 you go to Cambridge, year 2 you go tp Oxford etc. not realising that that isnt a thing and even if it was the courses arent interchangable and mixable
Original post by _Rusty_
I think OP is thinking that for year 1 you go to Cambridge, year 2 you go tp Oxford etc. not realising that that isnt a thing and even if it was the courses arent interchangable and mixable

In that case, they might have taken the term ‘Oxbridge’ a little too literally.
In that case, they might have taken the term ‘Oxbridge’ a little too literally.

Mmhmm, maybe OP has just dipped their toe into the water and then didnt realise the ripples it would make:lol:
Perhaps they believe Oxford > Cambridge, and think their chances of getting in to Cambridge are higher, from which point they can transfer?

Not true I'm afraid OP!

And ironically, while it's not uncommon to do undergrad at one and postgrad studies at the other, doing so would have no benefit for medicine - they could do any undergrad medical degree in the UK, and then any masters/PhD in the UK, and they would get exactly the same points on specialty applications provided they got the same results at any given uni...

Which in fact, might be harder to get the highest decile scores or masters classification at Oxford or Cambridge compared to other unis!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest