The Student Room Group

A-Level Politics Source Question

Hi can anyone help me and give me detailed feedback on how I could improve my answer. Thank You !!Question: Using the source, evaluate the view that proportional representation would improve elections to the House of Commons (Question 1 on 2019 Paper 1)Link to answer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZn_deia0LEexlXwsVtEBKvVBg9hkXTujew5VBLwTTA/edit
hey!
unfortunately it won't give me access to read but I took Politics and received an A* at the end and the best general advice for source questions that really boosted my grade (if you don't do this already) is: in the intro define, debate, direction, then in each paragraph you should open with a quote, provide evidence then evaluate. the general structure should then go: Intro, Point 1, Counterpoint 1 + first mini conclusion, Point 2, Counterpoint 2 + second mini conclusion, Point 3, Counterpoint 3 + third mini conclusion, overall conclusion. Also you should put your weaker argument as your point and your stronger argument as your counterpoint. I hope that can help in some way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tomspiderman
hey!
unfortunately it won't give me access to read but I took Politics and received an A* at the end and the best general advice for source questions that really boosted my grade (if you don't do this already) is: in the intro define, debate, direction, then in each paragraph you should open with a quote, provide evidence then evaluate. the general structure should then go: Intro, Point 1, Counterpoint 1 + first mini conclusion, Point 2, Counterpoint 2 + second mini conclusion, Point 3, Counterpoint 3 + third mini conclusion, overall conclusion. Also you should put your weaker argument as your point and your stronger argument as your counterpoint. I hope that can help in some way :smile:

This really helped me, im another a level politics student on the edexcel board. Where would we evaluate? Do we evaluate in our mini conclusions? Or do we evaluate when we are introducing our counterpoint? Thank you so much. Also, I've heard that in politics, the markers are not as harsh as other subjects. Do you know if there is any truth to this?
Original post by MKA123
This really helped me, im another a level politics student on the edexcel board. Where would we evaluate? Do we evaluate in our mini conclusions? Or do we evaluate when we are introducing our counterpoint? Thank you so much. Also, I've heard that in politics, the markers are not as harsh as other subjects. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Hi, evaluation needs to be continued all the way throughout don’t just evaluate in the conclusions. They’re used as a clear indicator of your debate on each point and counterpoint. Evaluation needs to be done in each point and counterpoint paragraph. Politics marking isn’t very easy I must say- they are quite specific and require specific points being raised.
Reply 4
Original post by tomspiderman
Hi, evaluation needs to be continued all the way throughout don’t just evaluate in the conclusions. They’re used as a clear indicator of your debate on each point and counterpoint. Evaluation needs to be done in each point and counterpoint paragraph. Politics marking isn’t very easy I must say- they are quite specific and require specific points being raised

Ohhh ok that makes sense to be fair. So how would we go about evaluating a point? What kind of things should we talk about? Any evaluative language we should use?
Original post by MKA123
Ohhh ok that makes sense to be fair. So how would we go about evaluating a point? What kind of things should we talk about? Any evaluative language we should use?

As for what you should talk about that’s up to the source question-it depends what point you’re evaluating really- it’s depends which side of the argument you’re going to take. Each paragraph (point being it’s own and counterpoint being it’s own paragraph… also the mini conclusion should just be put onto the end of your counterpoint) should be structured like this (if it’s a source question) Quote from source, “source A states that (quote)... This means that (explain what it is debating)…. This can be shown/proved… add in evidence of your own then evaluate it. Evaluate why it’s important, why that specific part of the source you have stated is relevant to the question. Then in your counterpoint you do the exact same but your counterpoint must be your strongest point- “however a much more convincing argument can be made that…”. In your mini conclusions ALWAYS refer back to the question. This ensures that you are being critical, evaluative and actually answering the question.
Your conclusion should be fairly long, focus on every key point you’ve made (basically writing up your mini conclusions again in more detail). I know it sounds like a lot but this is how you will get the very top marks- I did this throughout year 12 and 13 and it really helped me stay consistently at an a* :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot! You have no idea how much this has helped me. I have obtained an A for my AS level politics, so i’m looking to do the same. You’re the best bro, i’ll take all your advice into account.

Quick Reply

Latest