The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Durham Economics Undergrad

Hi, I'm an international student and I have received offers for Economics from Durham and Nottingham (and York).
From the Guardian Rankings, Durham ranks way better overall and in terms of employment. and it is considered a target for top IB & MBB firms. But I plan on doing an MBA and economics at Nottingham is more quantitative and still has pretty good employment opportunities & a good international reputation I believe? I've also read that Durham can be very elitist?
Which university do you think is better for economics? I'm having such a hard time deciding.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by n4ndini
Hi, I'm an international student and I have received offers for Economics from Durham and Nottingham (and York).
From the Guardian Rankings, Durham ranks way better overall and in terms of employment. and it is considered a target for top IB & MBB firms. But I plan on doing an MBA and economics at Nottingham is more quantitative and still has pretty good employment opportunities I believe?
Which university do you think is better for economics? I'm having such a hard time deciding.

At the Undergraduate level, UK targets are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial. Durham is the best semi-target however it really won't make much of a difference.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blablu
At the Undergraduate level, UK targets are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial. Durham is the best semi-target however it really won't make much of a difference.

so would you suggest Nottingham over Durham (If it won't make much of a difference)? international fees for Durham is also much higher than Nottingham
Original post by n4ndini
so would you suggest Nottingham over Durham (If it won't make much of a difference)? international fees for Durham is also much higher than Nottingham

Since you prefer Nottingham, go with that. You'll need to work very hard to get into IB either way.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by n4ndini
From the Guardian Rankings, Durham ranks way better overall and in terms of employment. and it is considered a target for top IB & MBB firms. But I plan on doing an MBA and economics at Nottingham is more quantitative and still has pretty good employment opportunities & a good international reputation I believe? I've also read that Durham can be very elitist?

Firstly, as another pointed out, Durham definitely isn't a target for IB, it's a semi-target like Nottingham but has a better placement record. Durham probably isn't even a semi-target for MBB as the group of firms they mainly hire out of is actually pretty small.

Secondly, it sorta depends on your preferences. If you want to go into things like IB, PE, Strat consulting, etc then I'd probably recommend Durham. It seems to have more going into these than most other semi-targets but that could just be an indirect effect of having a generally more privileged cohort. Whereas if you're wanting the best possible economics/maths/stats education from these unis then I'm pretty sure Notts' course is actually better. So depends what's more important to you
Original post by n4ndini

You should choose Durham. If you do, select Hatfield or St Mary’s as colleges.

Quick Reply

Latest