The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

He asked me to message him on Telegram instead of Whatsapp, why? Any suggestions pls

A male friend/coworker who i’ve fancied for the longest time (it’s a complicated story but we kind of had an emotional affair) asked me to install telegram and message him on there instead of whatsapp, despite him being online on whatsapp seemingly like 40% of the time. Why would this be do you think? Is there any significance? Is he trying to keep out conversations more private or something? I’ve never used telegram until he told me to install it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ask him.
Ask him.
Original post by skylark2
Ask him.

I don’t want to as he’s senior to me and basically my manager and don’t want to come across as difficult. Also knowing what he’s like in general as a person, he probably wouldn’t reply to that question if I texted it to him. And i’ve changed offices far away so I don’t see him anymore. What do you think the likely reason is?
(edited 1 year ago)
bump
Just say use whatsapp or you cba
Original post by mnot
Just say use whatsapp or you cba

I said I will do and installed telegram already though lol, what do you think the reason he wants me to message him on there instead might be? Do you think it’s something to do with privacy? Given that we both work for the same company but have flirted a lot in the past and he knows I’m attracted to him?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by onemillion2
I said I will do and installed telegram already though lol, what do you think the reason he wants me to message him on there instead might be? Do you think it’s something to do with privacy? Given that we both work for the same company but have flirted a lot in the past and he knows I’m attracted to him?

Idk, ive never used telegram but my guess it has a very specific benefit he wants, but for initial chat it really shouldn’t be that deep what app you use.
Original post by mnot
Idk, ive never used telegram but my guess it has a very specific benefit he wants, but for initial chat it really shouldn’t be that deep what app you use.

thanks for your detailed response! I mean he is online on whatsapp a lot, like at least 30% of the time, (this hasn’t changed since he asked me to install telegram) so it’s not like he’s uninstalled it, what do you think this benefit might be that he wants? I know you can use secret chats and stuff like that on telegram but i don’t really know much about the app
(edited 1 year ago)
thanks for your detailed response! I mean he is online on whatsapp a lot, like at least 30% of the time, (this hasn’t changed since he asked me to install telegram) so it’s not like he’s uninstalled it, what do you think this benefit might be that he wants?

🤔
We could discuss possibilities, but it would not reflect what might be happening in reality, so the only answer that is as close to valid as possible is getting it from him directly.

Yes, he may be senior, but if he's asking you to do something, there's no harm in asking what his rationale is in asking you to use telegram instead.
(edited 1 year ago)
Doesn’t want the Zucc knowing what’s going on.
he’s senior to me and basically my manager

Probably does want to keep you his secret.
I think telegram offers more security and privacy than whatsapp.
So his wife can't find your conversations easily.
Same answer as all these threads, ask him.
Original post by Helenia
So his wife can't find your conversations easily.

Lol 😂 I’m fairly sure he doesn’t have a wife but he may have a girlfriend, but I’m not sure, he’s very private about his personal life but he flirts around a lot so if he does he’s definitely not being faithful 👀
Reply 16
I’ll be honest , a lot of people use telegram for the wrong reasons it’s like a BTEC whatsapp however the man is most likely married /in a relationship with someone else either than you and doesn’t want anyone finding out as on telegram you need a passcode to login you can set and you can delete messages permanently off the server

whatsapp is owned by meta (fb) and they're dodgy as hell, thats why
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
whatsapp is owned by meta (fb) and they're dodgy as hell, thats why

yeah but he’s still online on whatsapp like 35% of the time, so he’s definitely not uninstalled or cut down his usage. It seems like he’s using it just as much as he ever did.
Probably realised he needs to organise his sidetings better

Latest