AS Chemistry MCQ Help

Watch this thread
Har6547
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

I have pasted the MCQ below. How can the molecule 2-ethylbut-1-ene exist, because however I write it if has an ethyl functional group then it always has the longest C chain totaling 5. Maybe I am missing something/have done something incorrectly? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is the IUPAC name of the major product of the reaction between
2-ethylbut-1-ene and hydrogen bromide? [1 mark]

A 1-bromo-2-ethylbutane
B 2-bromo-2-ethylbutane
C 2-bromo-2-methylpentane
D 3-bromo-3-methylpentane
Last edited by Har6547; 4 months ago
gingur
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
You name alkenes with the longest chain that contains the double bond, so you are right that the longest chain for this molecule is 5 but as it has a C=C you want to name it in a way that shows it's an alkene, if that makes sense.

I got the answer as
Spoiler:
Show
D
Har6547
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by gingur)
You name alkenes with the longest chain that contains the double bond, so you are right that the longest chain for this molecule is 5 but as it has a C=C you want to name it in a way that shows it's an alkene, if that makes sense.

I got the answer as
Spoiler:
Show
D
Ohhhh... that makes sense, thanks a lot. and yes that's the correct answer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads