LaLa Bee
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey guys.
I'm having alot of trouble finding a good sixth form or college that does Mandarin in London.

It's a subject that I really enjoy, and I would really like to carry it on after GCSE. I been searching for soooo long (since end of Year 10, I'm in Year 11 now) and just thought I should try my luck asking on this forum. I've called up about 8 colleges that I thought or heard did Mandarin and the only one that I found was Brighton College. Of course, I need more options, preferably schools that I don't need to do boarding.

I appreciate any help on Colleges/Sixth Forms that do Mandarin in London or in Essex (where I live, but I don't mind in London since I currently school in East London anyways).

EDIT: IF anyone knows any information about Chinese lessons outside college too, please tell me.

Thanks
Guinny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I very much doubt any sixth forms do it as a 'proper' subject... it's just one of those thing you try and arrange with the head of languages and self study .__.

You could always book classes and do it out of school in a center or something :]
Jué
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago

hi.

i am a year 12 student.

well my school opened mandarin course for some high school kids this septermber(for which year i am not so sure but i will find out :] )
they haven't got mandarin class for sixth form students yet and don't know if they are going to.
i am a chinese girl and i am going to take the exam next summer for both AS and A2 without taking the actual lessons.

cause iam not sure if my school gona open the coure so I would suggest you,
why not take a mandarine course outside the school and take the exam. iam sure most of the schools can make that.

there are many chinese community associations in london. I know the one LCCA in central london near stockwell. they have got good saturday mandarine classes.
Jué
Report 12 years ago

#2, hiiiiiiiii5!!!
LaLa Bee
Ah, thanks for replying Guinny and Jué.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing classes outside school, but then I thought it would be quite stressful. I'm kinda wondering how reliable it would be, like if I'm likely to pass this way. It's abit scary, hehe.

Nonetheless, I'll research about the LCCA classes
LaLa Bee
Anyone one else know anything about Colleges/Sixth Forms that do Mandarin? >.<
shengwen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LaLa Bee)
Anyone one else know anything about Colleges/Sixth Forms that do Mandarin? >.<
what sixth form/college did you go ? i am trying to find sixthform/college in london that dose chinese as well.
xXxSharkxXx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shengwen)
what sixth form/college did you go ? i am trying to find sixthform/college in london that dose chinese as well.
If you're looking for a sixthform that does mandarin as a proper subject mine does. I do mandarin at AS and its amazing, my school specializes in languages and english. The chinese teachers are great too. My school is in South London.
shengwen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SSpringer20)
If you're looking for a sixthform that does mandarin as a proper subject mine does. I do mandarin at AS and its amazing, my school specializes in languages and english. The chinese teachers are great too. My school is in South London.
ok, thank you! does your school do maths and further maths? also what is your school's name pls!
xXxSharkxXx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes my sixthform does further maths but you would have to achieve an A at gcse maths to do it and a level maths you need a B
shengwen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
xXxSharkxXx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shengwen)
ok that fine because i got an A in maths already ,what is your shool name pls!
Um, I don't think I'm comfortable with telling you my school name on here. PM me your number and I will text it to you.
NatyAa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I actually am in the same situation as you. So I was wondering if you've got any reply from anyone or you find out a good college sixth form where they do mandarin. Can you please give me any information if you have.Thank you
Last edited by NatyAa; 8 months ago
MicDrop
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by NatyAa)
Hi, I actually I'm in the same situation as you. So I was wondering if you've got any reply from anyone or you find out a good college sixth form where they do mandarin. Can you please give me any information if you have.Thank you
There is no way your going to find it during the pandemic. External candidate is cancelled anyway

Ask your college / sixth form to allow you to register
NatyAa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I do mandarin right now but I want to change school for my A levels either sixth form or sixth form colleges because if I stay I know I will probably have to do cross side
MicDrop
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I do mandarin right now but I want to change school for my A levels either sixth form or sixth form colleges because if I stay I know I will probably have to do cross side
I wouldn't change sixth form because you will get behind / late
NatyAa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I actually I'm in the same situation as you. So I was wondering if you've got any reply from anyone or you find out a good college sixth form where they do mandarin. Can you please give me any information if you have.Thank you
NatyAa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MicDrop)
I wouldn't change sixth form because you will get behind / late
I still don't go to sixth form so that's why I'm looking for options to apply for next year
MicDrop
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I still don't go to sixth form so that's why I'm looking for options to apply for next year
How old are you?
NatyAa
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm 15 I'm doing my last year of secondary school so I'm in year 11
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads