The Student Room Group

S6 subject choices

Hi, I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I’ve put in my subject choices for S6 but I’m not so sure now on picking physics... I’m planning on studying mathematics at university. My choices: AH Mathematics, AH Biology, Crash higher physics.I chose physics because it does involve a bit of math but I’m worried i might struggle because this is the first time i am studying physics🥲 I am teaching myself Nat 5 currently but still a bit worried. If i get in A in higher chemistry this year i might see if i can swap it out for physics at the beginning of the new term. Thoughts?
Have you tried discussing this with your teachers?
Do you enjoy physics more or chemistry more?
Reply 2
Original post by milu457
Hi, I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I’ve put in my subject choices for S6 but I’m not so sure now on picking physics... I’m planning on studying mathematics at university. My choices: AH Mathematics, AH Biology, Crash higher physics.I chose physics because it does involve a bit of math but I’m worried i might struggle because this is the first time i am studying physics🥲 I am teaching myself Nat 5 currently but still a bit worried. If i get in A in higher chemistry this year i might see if i can swap it out for physics at the beginning of the new term. Thoughts?

Higher physics is not too bad a crash higher - I know a girl doing it this year as you need it for vetmed and she has never studied it - but chemistry is quite a big higher (you won't understand it all first go, you have to work on it) so no matter what you will be putting in a lot of effort. Do what you think is best for you, your future, but also take into consideration how much you will enjoy each subject.
Original post by milu457

I think physics is easier to pick up but chemistry requires a lot of self-study to grasp topics. I’m presuming you’re good at Maths so Physics shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for you. most people in my class who are very good at maths are also very good at physics but that may not apply to everyone. (Even if you’re not good at maths, which i doubt, the maths in higher physics is really easy, it just involves rearranging formulas, linear formula equations, adding and subtracting very simple fractions and very simple factorising.) Some people find physics boring but they’re good at it. So it really just depends, whichever you enjoy more you should pick. I also took nat 5 physics, I liked it. A good chuck of the nat 5 physics course is applied or taken a step further in the higher course. It’s not that big of a jump from nat 5 to higher physics compared to chemistry. So if you can manage higher chemistry i’m sure you can manage physics.
Reply 4
Thanks for the feedback! I decided last week to swap out physics for advanced higher chemistry. I think Personally I’d have a better chance of doing better there than crash higher physics. I just sat my chemistry exam and it wasn’t too bad so I’m feeling hopeful!

Quick Reply

Latest