Who else is doing the MPhil in Medieval History?

Watch this thread
Future_IB
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I just got my offer for this course confirmed. I am extremely excited for October.

Has anyone else done this course? What did you think about it? How were the tutors e.t.c.
Noble_Slug
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
For the record, I posted by mistake from my old account. This is my current account. (I’m the threadstarter)
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I also got my offer confirmed for October!
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That’s fabulous! What is your college?
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Gonville and Caius. What is yours?
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by medievalhistory2)
Gonville and Caius. What is yours?
Oh my! I put that as my second. It’s a fabulous college. I’m going to Peterhouse. What will you be doing for your dissertation/what’s your direction?
Last edited by Noble_Slug; 3 months ago
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I heard Peterhouse is great too! My dissertation is going to focus on the Baltic Crusades, what’s your direction?
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I heard Peterhouse is great too! My dissertation is going to focus on the Baltic Crusades, what’s your direction?
Oh my! That sounds great. The only thing I know about that is the Battle of Grunwald (?) where I think Richard Beauchamp fought and, I believe, Henry IV also joined some order before he became king?. Are you exploring the English perspective or?

Mine is going to be on the Star Chamber during the reign of Edward IV (I’m a big Wars of the Roses and Legal History fan)
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
This sounds like a really interesting idea, it's certainly a fascinating period! The Battle of Grunwald is in some sense the end of the Baltic Crusades, where I will be exploring mostly the early period (being the conquest and conversion of Livonia by the German military orders). My dissertation specifically leans more towards religious and cultural history, although I find legal history and English history very fascinating as well!
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
This sounds like a really interesting idea, it's certainly a fascinating period! The Battle of Grunwald is in some sense the end of the Baltic Crusades, where I will be exploring mostly the early period (being the conquest and conversion of Livonia by the German military orders). My dissertation specifically leans more towards religious and cultural history, although I find legal history and English history very fascinating as well!
Oh wow, yeah I’m getting a sense of what you mean. Do you need to know any foreign languages to carry this out? The religious element must also be surely fascinating.

Who will be your supervisor? Do you know which optional module you’ll be doing?
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Noble_Slug)
Oh wow, yeah I’m getting a sense of what you mean. Do you need to know any foreign languages to carry this out? The religious element must also be surely fascinating.

Who will be your supervisor? Do you know which optional module you’ll be doing?
I need to know German (Mittelhochdeutsch) and Latin, both of which I got covered (not sure if my Latin is quite at that level yet though, which is what the September course is for!).

My supervisor is going to be Prof. Berend. I haven’t really decided which optional module yet.
Who is going to be your supervisor? Did you decide on a module? As for languages, I would assume Latin and Middle English?
Last edited by medievalhistory2; 3 months ago
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I need to know German (Mittelhochdeutsch) and Latin, both of which I got covered (not sure if my Latin is quite at that level yet though, which is what the September course is for!).

My supervisor is going to be Prof. Berend. I haven’t really decided which optional module yet.
Who is going to be your supervisor? Did you decide on a module? As for languages, I would assume Latin and Middle English?
Oh are you German? My supervisor is Paul Cavill (do note that he generally moves in the Early Modern Faculty so you might not have heard of him). And Oh yeah I decided on the optional module before even applying XD: Law and Society for sure!

Yes, Latin and English (although certainly more English) and French. I did IB HL French way back in sixth form and my Latin is basically nonexistent :/ , I’m starting to get tuition for it now before the course starts. Do most people learn Latin during their undergraduate history degrees? Do you come from a pure history background?

So good to have someone else on here to chat to about all this!
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh are you German? My supervisor is Paul Cavill (do note that he generally moves in the Early Modern Faculty so you might not have heard of him). And Oh yeah I decided on the optional module before even applying XD: Law and Society for sure!

Yes, Latin and English (although certainly more English) and French. I did IB HL French way back in sixth form and my Latin is basically nonexistent :/ , I’m starting to get tuition for it now before the course starts. Do most people learn Latin during their undergraduate history degrees? Do you come from a pure history background?

So good to have someone else on here to chat to about all this!
Yeah lol, it makes perfect sense that you would pick Law and Society, I’m leaning towards that one as well.

I’m not German but I have been learning the language for a long time, currently using my time before September to delve into Middle High German texts. Don’t worry about the Latin too much, my undergraduate major was history so I did learn it (as I think most history majors who are interested in medieval history do), but there is the September course and according to the website they also offer support in Latin during the year. My background is mostly history. If not history, what was your undergraduate in?

And yes, it’s really amazing to have someone to talk with about this!
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah lol, it makes perfect sense that you would pick Law and Society, I’m leaning towards that one as well.

I’m not German but I have been learning the language for a long time, currently using my time before September to delve into Middle High German texts. Don’t worry about the Latin too much, my undergraduate major was history so I did learn it (as I think most history majors who are interested in medieval history do), but there is the September course and according to the website they also offer support in Latin during the year. My background is mostly history. If not history, what was your undergraduate in?

And yes, it’s really amazing to have someone to talk with about this!
You have free time until September? Tbh me too and honestly I’m just sitting here wondering what to do with myself.

Also wow kudos to you for for being able to read in the medieval version of your second language. Honestly the lack of textbooks must be daunting (I’ve had a hard time understanding Gawain English and English is pretty much my native language and there is loads of resources for learning medieval English). As for Latin, I keep hearing horror stories from friends about the difficulty of MPhils and I’m here like wondering if I would even be able to handle catch up courses while doing the diss and the other modules.

My background? It is Law (LLB) XD I have a sneaking suspicion that I’ll be the only one on there. But tbh I can’t wait to get a break from law school students hh
medievalhistory2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You have free time until September? Tbh me too and honestly I’m just sitting here wondering what to do with myself.

Also wow kudos to you for for being able to read in the medieval version of your second language. Honestly the lack of textbooks must be daunting (I’ve had a hard time understanding Gawain English and English is pretty much my native language and there is loads of resources for learning medieval English). As for Latin, I keep hearing horror stories from friends about the difficulty of MPhils and I’m here like wondering if I would even be able to handle catch up courses while doing the diss and the other modules.

My background? It is Law (LLB) XD I have a sneaking suspicion that I’ll be the only one on there. But tbh I can’t wait to get a break from law school students hh
Yeah lol I can imagine law has quite a different crowd from history. Having a law background will also give you a different outlook on things, which is a big advantage in my opinion. I think you’ll do totally fine on the Latin front, it may seem daunting but it’s like learning any other language (not that mine is anywhere near the level I want it at yet tbh). I think the university is prepared to handle it, and you also said it’s not as relevant to your dissertation so that should alleviate things quite a bit.
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah lol I can imagine law has quite a different crowd from history. Having a law background will also give you a different outlook on things, which is a big advantage in my opinion. I think you’ll do totally fine on the Latin front, it may seem daunting but it’s like learning any other language (not that mine is anywhere near the level I want it at yet tbh). I think the university is prepared to handle it, and you also said it’s not as relevant to your dissertation so that should alleviate things quite a bit.

On another note, if you want we could exchange some sort of contact information to keep in touch until the course starts, but I don’t know how it could be done (as obviously posting anything of the such on a public forum is not the best of ideas lol)
I’ll PM you and we can sort it out there!

@anyone else who comes across this forum and also wants to chat about the course: PM me or write me on here. : )
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I received your message, although I can't message back since my account is apparently too new :/. Could you pm me your Whatsapp then?
Sure!
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Don’t mind me. Just bumping this thread
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Please note that it is against the TSR terms of use to share or request links to offsite communications platforms. This is because TSR is unable to vet or moderate those platforms and due to the large number of minors that use this site TSR has a duty of care to safeguard them.

Please keep all discussions started on TSR, on TSR
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
Noble_Slug
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Please note that it is against the TSR terms of use to share or request links to offsite communications platforms. This is because TSR is unable to vet or moderate those platforms and due to the large number of minors that use this site TSR has a duty of care to safeguard them.

Please keep all discussions started on TSR, on TSR
Super. But we are allowed to invite one another to PM on TSR right? Do these rules also apply to TSR PM? Or just the forums
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads