The Student Room Group

I hate being so short and fat

What do I do? I’m obese at 94kg, 17 years old, male and 5’7”. My dad is 5’11” and my mum is 5’1”. I hate being so short and fat. I’m so depressed because of it. I really want to grow to my dads height at least and lose body fat. I’m scared that being fat won’t let me grow to my maximum height because high body fat = low human growth hormone production. What if I could’ve been taller if I wasn’t so fat? I wish I didn’t eat all that junk food. I hate myself. I’m also scared that if I go in a deficit to lose body fat I won’t grow to my maximum height or stunt my growth because teenagers need a lot of calories. All I want is to grow to my dads height at least and become lean. I don’t know what to do. Please help me.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

5'7 isn't short.

Find out why you're obese. Are you eating too much (of the wrong foods)? and work towards changing that.
Original post by User62637
What do I do? I’m obese at 94kg, 17 years old and 5’7”. My dad is 5’11” and my mum is 5’1”. I hate being so short and fat. I’m so depressed because of it. I really want to grow to my dads height at least and lose body fat. I’m scared that being fat won’t let me grow to my maximum height because high body fat = low human growth hormone production. What if I could’ve been taller if I wasn’t so fat? I wish I didn’t eat all that junk food. I hate myself. I’m also scared that if I go in a deficit to lose body fat I won’t grow to my maximum height or stunt my growth because teenagers need a lot of calories. All I want is to grow to my dads height at least and become lean. I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

Go to the gym. Stop eating junk food.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
Go to the gym. Stop eating junk food.

I’m scared that weights will stunt my growth.
What do I do? I’m obese at 94kg, 17 years old and 5’7”. My dad is 5’11” and my mum is 5’1”. I hate being so short and fat. I’m so depressed because of it. I really want to grow to my dads height at least and lose body fat. I’m scared that being fat won’t let me grow to my maximum height because high body fat = low human growth hormone production. What if I could’ve been taller if I wasn’t so fat? I wish I didn’t eat all that junk food. I hate myself. I’m also scared that if I go in a deficit to lose body fat I won’t grow to my maximum height or stunt my growth because teenagers need a lot of calories. All I want is to grow to my dads height at least and become lean. I don’t know what to do. Please help me.

First of all, I'm really sorry you're feeling like this. I hope that I can help: If you want to lose weight, I think it's important that you first of all learn to love yourself, and see the beauty in yourself. It can be really dangerous going into losing weight with hatred towards yourself-it can lead to eating disorders. Do it with the intention to live more happily and healthily. I think within our society the narrative is pushed that we must be skinny and slim to be happy and beautiful which is simply not true. More healthy? Yes Happy and Beautiful? Not necessarily. I'm sending you love and the best of luck
(edited 2 years ago)

I am not asking you to carry insanely large weights. You need to start with cardio, core strength and smaller weights. Those will help you lose weight.
What do I do? I’m obese at 94kg, 17 years old and 5’7”. My dad is 5’11” and my mum is 5’1”. I hate being so short and fat. I’m so depressed because of it. I really want to grow to my dads height at least and lose body fat. I’m scared that being fat won’t let me grow to my maximum height because high body fat = low human growth hormone production. What if I could’ve been taller if I wasn’t so fat? I wish I didn’t eat all that junk food. I hate myself. I’m also scared that if I go in a deficit to lose body fat I won’t grow to my maximum height or stunt my growth because teenagers need a lot of calories. All I want is to grow to my dads height at least and become lean. don’t know what to do. Please help me.

5’7 is fine a lot of guys like shorter girls the obesity in theory is easy to solve but it takes a bit of time and will power a diet will help you get started loosening that weight. You’ll also want to get some sort of exercise something like gym or swimming is good you could also get a few secessions with a personal trainer in a gym they will ask your goals then advise you how to meet those goals. There are also loads of fitness apps which can help you with workouts and there are lots of workouts on you tube too.or go find something you enjoy something like trampolining (there are loads of trampoline parks around that look fun) or tennis or maybe a team sport if you do that you’ll start to see results who knows by the time. Your 18 you could be happy with your weight. I suspect the junk food is because it easy there are better options Nando’s for instance you get chicken and there are a lot of nice sides which aren’t chips I like the sweetcorn and also the macho peas (with mint and a little chilli). Is also really good then there are places like costa which yes serve cakes and coffee but their savoury foods aren’t too bad for you M
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
5’7 is fine a lot of guys like shorter girls the obesity in theory is easy to solve but it takes a bit of time and will power a diet will help you get started loosening that weight. You’ll also want to get some sort of exercise something like gym or swimming is good you could also get a few secessions with a personal trainer in a gym they will ask your goals then advise you how to meet those goals. There are also loads of fitness apps which can help you with workouts and there are lots of workouts on you tube too.or go find something you enjoy something like trampolining (there are loads of trampoline parks around that look fun) or tennis or maybe a team sport if you do that you’ll start to see results who knows by the time. Your 18 you could be happy with your weight. I suspect the junk food is because it easy there are better options Nando’s for instance you get chicken and there are a lot of nice sides which aren’t chips I like the sweetcorn and also the macho peas (with mint and a little chilli). Is also really good then there are places like costa which yes serve cakes and coffee but their savoury foods aren’t too bad for you M

I think the OP is a lad. 5’7 is perfect for girls.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think the OP is a lad. 5’7 is perfect for girls.

Yeah that would make a little more sense but again 5,7 isn’t too short I myself am a man and 5,8.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah that would amaze a little more sense but again 5,7 isn’t too short I myself am a man and 5,8.

That’s true.

There have been no studies that prove weights stunts growth.

However, if you lift them with bad form, unsupervised, or if they’re too heavy for you to handle etc then it can (hypothetically speaking, using basic scientific assumptions) from a young age.
(edited 2 years ago)
you do not need to go to the gym with all the expense and stress that involves. just walk 20 minutes a day and you will see the pounds melt away.
eat sensibly and think positive thoughts.

This is classic myth is outdated. do more research.
Reply 13

I’m a male. Thanks for the advice tho.
Reply 14
Original post by Proxenus
This is classic myth is outdated. do more research.

I researched it and a lot of sources said that when you lift weights the human growth hormone goes to your muscles instead of your bones making you bigger but not taller. I’d rather be taller because I’m so short.
I researched it and a lot of sources said that when you lift weights the human growth hormone goes to your muscles instead of your bones making you bigger but not taller. I’d rather be taller because I’m so short.

never heard such cap in my life

This isn't remotely true - I have no idea where you got this from.

You do really need to stop eating - you've very fat for your age and height. Have you spoken to your GP about it?
Reply 17
Original post by Proxenus
never heard such cap in my life

How is it cap? It makes sense. Your bones and muscles need human growth hormone to grow but when you lift weights the human growth hormone goes to your muscles because you’ve teared them. Instead of going to your bones for height they go to your muscles for repairing and making them bigger. I don’t know if that’s true tho. Prove me wrong so I can lift weights without worrying about not growing taller.
Reply 18
Original post by Reality Check
This isn't remotely true - I have no idea where you got this from.

You do really need to stop eating - you've very fat for your age and height. Have you spoken to your GP about it?

I wanted to go on a deficit to lose all of this body fat but I’m scared I won’t reach my maximum height or even worse, stunt my growth. I hate being so short and fat. I will talk to my GP about it soon.
I will talk to my GP about it soon.

I think that would be a very good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest