can you join afc harrogate for the royal marines

Watch this thread
spencer.baker
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am looking at attending afc harrogate, but am still not sure what role in the armed forces I want. I have been thinking towards joinging the rifles, but now I am starting to look into the marines (both of which you can join at 16) but I cannot find any information online on where you go when you join the navy (or the marines) at 16. There doesn't seem to be that much information online so it would mean a lot if anyone knows the answe.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Harrogate is the Army Foundation College.

For the Royal Navy/Royal Marines:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers
Swampster929
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by spencer.baker)
I am looking at attending afc harrogate, but am still not sure what role in the armed forces I want. I have been thinking towards joinging the rifles, but now I am starting to look into the marines (both of which you can join at 16) but I cannot find any information online on where you go when you join the navy (or the marines) at 16. There doesn't seem to be that much information online so it would mean a lot if anyone knows the answe.
Hi unfortunately, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines do not have 'Junior' entrant college as the Army does at Harrogate. You would enter Basic Training at HMS RALEIGH (Torpoint nr Plymouth) or Commando Training Centre RM (CTCRM) Exmouth and the only distinction I am aware of is the fact you can't be Operationally deployed (Combat) until attaining age 18 (but I stand to be corrected on this). So you would be undertaking your training with all ages of recruits....but these orgnisations are geared up to support all needs and types...so don't let that put you off. My son wanted to join RM at 16.5 and I thought it too young and asked him to watch the online footage of the TV series of AFC Harrogate....he did so and is now thoroughly enjoying himself at AFC Harrogate as a JS. I feel a little guilty as an ex-Chief Petty Officer in the RN as my bias would be towards the Royal Marines...but a least he is with similar aged Peers and has 12 months to decide (can opt out sooner) if the British Army is for him. Although I have told him the Adult Army will be different to what he is experiencing at Harrogate....but AFC Harrogate have been doing this for some time and seem very good and adept at preparing the Junior Soldiers for Phase II training. Whatever you choose good luck ..you are doing the right thing seeking lots of advice ....I found a Career in the Armed Forces very rewarding and I hope my son (and daughter now in RN) do too.
mentocornroast
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Swampster929)
Hi unfortunately, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines do not have 'Junior' entrant college as the Army does at Harrogate. You would enter Basic Training at HMS RALEIGH (Torpoint nr Plymouth) or Commando Training Centre RM (CTCRM) Exmouth and the only distinction I am aware of is the fact you can't be Operationally deployed (Combat) until attaining age 18 (but I stand to be corrected on this). So you would be undertaking your training with all ages of recruits....but these orgnisations are geared up to support all needs and types...so don't let that put you off. My son wanted to join RM at 16.5 and I thought it too young and asked him to watch the online footage of the TV series of AFC Harrogate....he did so and is now thoroughly enjoying himself at AFC Harrogate as a JS. I feel a little guilty as an ex-Chief Petty Officer in the RN as my bias would be towards the Royal Marines...but a least he is with similar aged Peers and has 12 months to decide (can opt out sooner) if the British Army is for him. Although I have told him the Adult Army will be different to what he is experiencing at Harrogate....but AFC Harrogate have been doing this for some time and seem very good and adept at preparing the Junior Soldiers for Phase II training. Whatever you choose good luck ..you are doing the right thing seeking lots of advice ....I found a Career in the Armed Forces very rewarding and I hope my son (and daughter now in RN) do too.
Hi

Do you know if i join AFC Harrogate can i leave after the 20 week course if i decide its not for me?
Swampster929
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mentocornroast)
Hi

Do you know if i join AFC Harrogate can i leave after the 20 week course if i decide its not for me?
Hi you will have an employment contract with the British Army on joining AFC as a Junior Soldier …check AFC website and it will tell you at what pint you can leave …however anyone joining any of the Armed Forces under 18 as a legal right to give 30 days notice to leave before turning 18 …some lads in my son’s entry did leave early into the course as it wasn’t for them (he is on 49 week course) - give it a try £1000 income per month salary …food accomm and clothing and option to leave if not for you - good luck
mentocornroast
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Swampster929)
Hi you will have an employment contract with the British Army on joining AFC as a Junior Soldier …check AFC website and it will tell you at what pint you can leave …however anyone joining any of the Armed Forces under 18 as a legal right to give 30 days notice to leave before turning 18 …some lads in my son’s entry did leave early into the course as it wasn’t for them (he is on 49 week course) - give it a try £1000 income per month salary …food accomm and clothing and option to leave if not for you - good luck
Thank you for your reply. I want to go Im just scared they won’t let me leave. I heard of a boy who’s notice to leave harrogate got ripped up in front of him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.78%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.45%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
9.92%

Watched Threads