The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

How does hybrid learning at the University of Surrey work>

The website has mentioned that due to the pandemic, a hybrid learning model has been used for the 2021/2021 academic year. Because the website is still a bit vague about this will be carried out in practice, how many hours of in-person classes (lectures, seminars, tutorials) are there in one week?
If it differs significantly across the different fields,
Original post by Anonymous
The website has mentioned that due to the pandemic, a hybrid learning model has been used for the 2021/2021 academic year. Because the website is still a bit vague about this will be carried out in practice, how many hours of in-person classes (lectures, seminars, tutorials) are there in one week?
If it differs significantly across the different fields,

Sorry I posted this too early.
If it differs significantly across the different fields, I would prefer answers from 1st and 2nd year Engineering students.
Thank you!
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Sorry I posted this too early.
If it differs significantly across the different fields, I would prefer answers from 1st and 2nd year Engineering students.
Thank you!

Hi there,

To introduce myself I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

For engineering, the hybrid system means you should have something like this for each module: 2 hours online pre-recorded lecture (divided into four mini-lectures), 2 hours in-person teaching (workshop), 1-hour tutorial/lab.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life, please ask, as I am here to help you out. :smile:

Joao
Economics
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

To introduce myself I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

For engineering, the hybrid system means you should have something like this for each module: 2 hours online pre-recorded lecture (divided into four mini-lectures), 2 hours in-person teaching (workshop), 1-hour tutorial/lab.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life, please ask, as I am here to help you out. :smile:

Joao
Economics

Since the 2 hours of in-person teaching just says workshops, are those 2 hours just seminars or can they consist of lectures too? If the former is true, what is the difference between the workshops and the 1 hour tutorials?
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Since the 2 hours of in-person teaching just says workshops, are those 2 hours just seminars or can they consist of lectures too? If the former is true, what is the difference between the workshops and the 1 hour tutorials?
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hi there,
Workshops are the same as lectures. Tutorials are smaller classes with around 10/15 students.
I hope this was useful.
Joao
Economics

Quick Reply

Latest