The Student Room Group

Why are the practicals for aqa alevel physics different in the textbook vs pmat?

The practicals on physics and maths tutor and the practicals in the aqa physics textbook are different, is it worth even looking at the pmat notes? They seem to include things that my textbook doesnt
(edited 2 years ago)
What textbook do you use? Have you looked at the specification? Glancing at the PMAT notes, they seem to have the same titles as the required practicals. What differences did you find? (I am also studying AQA physics.)
Original post by penguingirl18
What textbook do you use? Have you looked at the specification? Glancing at the PMAT notes, they seem to have the same titles as the required practicals. What differences did you find? (I am also studying AQA physics.)

They have the same titles but alot of then are done in a different way, for example the young modulus practical is set up totally differently in my CGP textbook than on the website
Have you done your practicals yet? :smile:
Original post by turkeytown4
They have the same titles but alot of then are done in a different way, for example the young modulus practical is set up totally differently in my CGP textbook than on the website
Have you done your practicals yet? :smile:

I'm doing my practical endorsement in a month. You're right, the Young modulus practical on PMAT is different than the lab book (which is from the exam centre, so I assume it's the most accurate source). I hadn't done the PMAT yet - I'm so glad you noticed they're different. Specifically, the lab book instructs to load an initial 1kg weight and proceed with 0.5kg masses (which PMAT reverses); to initially stretch the wire before measurement instead of after; and to suspend the wires from pulleys instead of the ceiling. Is that what your textbook shows too? My textbook is Collins and agrees with PMAT about suspending wire from the ceiling, but doesn't specify the mass sizes or process of initial wire measurement.
Also, here's a link to some videos of practicals, and there are lots on YouTube too:
https://nustem.uk/required-practicals/
I'm doing aqa a level physics and im so lost. My teacher just disappeared for 5 months and we had supplies for so long who could not teach anything. I feel like idk the content at all and im stuck on Cs and Ds. How do you revise for physics especially the content, please if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it?
Original post by beastyray789
I'm doing aqa a level physics and im so lost. My teacher just disappeared for 5 months and we had supplies for so long who could not teach anything. I feel like idk the content at all and im stuck on Cs and Ds. How do you revise for physics especially the content, please if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it?

Sorry about your teacher! Here's how I've studied:
- coursebook (Collins): read content, then reread and do the practice problems
- Mr. Turnbull's Physics videos and Physics Online "All of AQA [topic]" videos
- then make notes synthesizing both videos and the coursebook (I've got a composition notebook to fill up)
For revision (just starting now so I might change this at some point, but this is my current plan):
- practice problems from Seneca, savemyexams, and Physics and Maths Tutors
- past papers and mark scheme (I'll rewrite the answers I miss marks on to boost memory)
To track my progress, I've created a spreadsheet where I can turn the cell background green or add a checkbox to show completion.
Hope this helps!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest