The Student Room Group

Essay

I have spent around 30 hours trying to write an essay about a module (I don't particular enjoyr it) . I have read a few articles and revised lectures, but still haven't got a clue of how to answer the question. The essay is due in 2 days. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Original post by Anonymous
I have spent around 30 hours trying to write an essay about a module (I don't particular enjoyr it) . I have read a few articles and revised lectures, but still haven't got a clue of how to answer the question. The essay is due in 2 days. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As you haven't mentioned what the question is, or the module, or even the course, it's clear that you're not looking for any help with this specific question. Your query is more of a general, "How do I answer a question where, despite having read a few articles and revised lectures, I still haven't got a clue how to answer it." Agreed?

It's possible that the question is worded in a really confusing, or perhaps overly broad, way. Is that the case?

Do you understand the topic generally, even if you don't know how to tackle this particular question?

Are others on your course struggling in the same way? If not, could you ask one of them to point you in the right direction?

What has the 30 hours you've spent so far produced? Do you have an essay, but just not one that you're happy with? Or have you deleted it and re-written it ad infinitum such that there is no actual result of your labours?

Would it be fair to say that the fact that you don't particularly enjoy this module is hampering your ability to answer the question?
Hi, the first thing you should do is look at the specific words used in the title of the question. Look for words such as 'describe', 'evaluate', 'compare' and so on. This will tell you what type of writing they are expecting in your essay. Next look at the other key words, find definitions for the key words (Oxford reference is great for this https://www.oxfordreference.com/ ), then if you still aren't sure what to do next, use reputable journal sites/your online university site and type in the key words, for example 'Art therapy AND grief AND child*'. This way you can find interesting articles/journals. Read the abstracts to see if they would be of use to you, then ones that are good, read and use in your essay. From here you should be able to do more detailed searches and find even better information.

Always refer to your learning outcomes, you do not need to do anything if it is not in your learning outcome. This is what you will be marked against so make sure to try hit all the points mentioned.

I would recommend making use of your universities skills centre, they have sessions around understanding Learning Outcomes, understanding your essay title, how to write critically and much more.

You don't have much time to do all this for this essay, so you should apply for an extension.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
Sorry for not replying, I was busy writing. So I decided to get key concepts from a range of different literature, and combined/contrasted them. I relied a lot on literature that my lecturer wrote, I hope that isn't a problem, in my defence, she used concepts from her own book during the lectures and the recommended reading list articles cited her book a lot. Also, the other papers that she provided, also referenced her book. And we were told to use the provided literature because there is too much out there that doesn't make sense.
Given that your original post was two days ago, and you said the essay was due in two days, I assume you managed to hit the deadline?

The approach you've taken sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Yes I was, thankfully I finished everything a few hours before the deadline.

Quick Reply