The Student Room Group

Contract law help

i am an economics student but i have a law module apart of my course (commercial law) i have to complete an assignment on contract law with the case study below:s-smilie:am is about to go to university to study ‘business and accounting’. Jo (a friend of Sam’s parents) made a verbal offer to Sam with the opportunity to “earn some money for uni” over the summer, “helping out with book work and preparing end of year accounts”. Sam, who was 17 at the time, worked regular full-time hours (9 5, Monday - Friday) at the offices of Jo’s business throughout July and August. There was no form of written agreement concerning the arrangement. When Sam left for university at the end of the August, Jo refused to pay any money. Required: Considering what you have learnt in the Commercial Law course so far with respect to the English legal system and contract law, explain whether Sam has a contract and is therefore entitled to be paid. Whether you think so, or not, what law(s) would you use to support this proposition? if anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated i really am stuck and have no sense of direction
You need to decide, based upon you knowledge of the law, whether the verbal offer which Jo made to Sam constitutes a legal contract. Googling "verbal offer legal contract" should get you going. Things to establish are: Is a verbal contract legally binding? Are there any exceptions? Do those exceptions apply here?

There has been no conversation about the amount of money which Sam would receive (Jo just says "earn some money for uni":wink:, but you might like to consider whether the National Minimum Wage applies in this scenario, given Sam's age. Googling "minimum wage 17" should help.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You need to decide, based upon you knowledge of the law, whether the verbal offer which Jo made to Sam constitutes a legal contract. Googling "verbal offer legal contract" should get you going. Things to establish are: Is a verbal contract legally binding? Are there any exceptions? Do those exceptions apply here?

There has been no conversation about the amount of money which Sam would receive (Jo just says "earn some money for uni":wink:, but you might like to consider whether the National Minimum Wage applies in this scenario, given Sam's age. Googling "minimum wage 17" should help.

Thank you so much, i will definitely consider implementing the minimum wage as an argument , i truly appreciate your help
Reply 3

may i ask, from your perspective, do you think a contract has been created and is sam entitled to some form of pay?
Original post by Np03
may i ask, from your perspective, do you think a contract has been created and is sam entitled to some form of pay?

I'm no legal expert, but I believe a contract exists between the two parties, and that Sam is entitled to be paid.

One of the requirements for a contract to exist is that both parties must be "competent", which would ordinarily exclude minors (i.e. those under 18). However, the Minors’ Contracts Act 1987 appears to allow minors to enter into contracts, and for the adult to be bound by that contract. (Oddly, the minor may "void" the contract if he/she so wishes.)

If the contract exists, which I believe it does, then Sam should be paid as the verbal agreement referred to "some money".

Again, I'm not a lawyer.

https://hallellis.co.uk/contract-law-basics-formation/ appears to be a good resource, in terms of establishing whether a contract exists.
Reply 5
I'm no legal expert, but I believe a contract exists between the two parties, and that Sam is entitled to be paid.

One of the requirements for a contract to exist is that both parties must be "competent", which would ordinarily exclude minors (i.e. those under 18). However, the Minors’ Contracts Act 1987 appears to allow minors to enter into contracts, and for the adult to be bound by that contract. (Oddly, the minor may "void" the contract if he/she so wishes.)

If the contract exists, which I believe it does, then Sam should be paid as the verbal agreement referred to "some money".

Again, I'm not a lawyer.

https://hallellis.co.uk/contract-law-basics-formation/ appears to be a good resource, in terms of establishing whether a contract exists.

thank you once again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest