feeling guilty...

Watch this thread
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i'm in yr11 doing my GCSEs. i am a straight grade 9 student when it comes to the sciences.
i had mocks, so for revision, i decided to print off some previous past papers from the AQA website. I did them and marked them and i flicked through them the night before the exam.
i genuinely had NO IDEA that they were going to use the actual past papers for the mock, so of course, at the time i got excited by the fact that i knew how to answer a lot of the questions because at home, i actually went through them and understood the question and the answer. i DID not memorise the answers nor did i know that any past paper would come up in the exam, i just thought that school would make a paper up on their own. all 3 exams were based on papers that i had done at home. the fact that i found out today and got 86% in my triple higher physics made me over the moon as it was the highest in the class. However, i would have thought that others would have done past papers too? surely i'm not that clever to have been the only one to do so? my mates got scores in the 80% however as i said i did get the highest. the average score was about
60-70%. there were additional questions in the exam that i had never seen before, but the majority i had.
i feel guilty as i did the past paper before, and the other 2 sciences were based on past papers i had done before too! it seems unreasonable for me to feel guilty as, like i said, i am a grade 9 student, but idk why i do.

thanks for the help!
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
The exam boards held back the papers they had prepared for 2020 and 2021 (but didn't use due to Covid). They allowed schools to access these, but didn't make them generally available. That was specifically to allow them to be used for mocks, without the risk of students already having seen them.

So, assuming that these weren't 2020 or 2021 past papers, then you have nothing whatsoever to feel guilty about. Going through past papers, and the associated mark schemes, is exactly what you should be doing towards the end of your time studying for GCSEs.

The school really weren't so smart at using publicly available past papers for your mocks.
Endola
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
i'm in yr11 doing my GCSEs. i am a straight grade 9 student when it comes to the sciences.
i had mocks, so for revision, i decided to print off some previous past papers from the AQA website. I did them and marked them and i flicked through them the night before the exam.
i genuinely had NO IDEA that they were going to use the actual past papers for the mock, so of course, at the time i got excited by the fact that i knew how to answer a lot of the questions because at home, i actually went through them and understood the question and the answer. i DID not memorise the answers nor did i know that any past paper would come up in the exam, i just thought that school would make a paper up on their own. all 3 exams were based on papers that i had done at home. the fact that i found out today and got 86% in my triple higher physics made me over the moon as it was the highest in the class. However, i would have thought that others would have done past papers too? surely i'm not that clever to have been the only one to do so? my mates got scores in the 80% however as i said i did get the highest. the average score was about
60-70%. there were additional questions in the exam that i had never seen before, but the majority i had.
i feel guilty as i did the past paper before, and the other 2 sciences were based on past papers i had done before too! it seems unreasonable for me to feel guilty as, like i said, i am a grade 9 student, but idk why i do.

thanks for the help!
The whole point of doing past papers for your own revision is so that you can assess yourself and learn from your mistakes in order to not repeat them. So really, you should not feel guilty at all because that is exactly how you utilised those papers. And even if you did know that the school would use them, it's still not something to feel guilty about as those papers are accessible to anyone. Like DataVenia said, the school weren't smart in using them for your mocks.
Last edited by Endola; 3 months ago
All Blunt
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)

thanks for the help!
Yh, don't feel guilty. For GCSEs and A-Levels doing past papers is so so useful, in the real exams they will often use similar questions to ones they have used before, it's especially useful in subjects like biology where it's important to understand the sorts of things that are on a mark scheme. Also there are only so many questions they can ask before they have to start using similar questions or twisting the questions a bit.
Last edited by All Blunt; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads