The Student Room Group

Had An Interview Today And Got Turned Down - Here's Why?

Can someone please translate this for me? Just received this email after asking about how I could improve my interview skills, does this translate to me doing too well in the interview?!

“Of course *insert my name*. Funnily enough I would say you came over as too technical. You are obviously a thinking and in another role that would be a big attribute but for a Band 4 role there was a little too much detail. It would be helpful to take one step back. To prove your molecular skills but perhaps in a more succinct manner?”
Reply 1
It’s almost impossible without being there! But the word that leaps out to me is ‘succinct’.

Sounds like you did well, you proved your skills but ‘added too much detail’. Maybe keep it shorter, outlining the task, then ask if they want more detail. Then you know what they’re after. Interviews are a two-way conversation, so let them feel that their opinion matters.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Can someone please translate this for me? Just received this email after asking about how I could improve my interview skills, does this translate to me doing too well in the interview?!

“Of course *insert my name*. Funnily enough I would say you came over as too technical. You are obviously a thinking and in another role that would be a big attribute but for a Band 4 role there was a little too much detail. It would be helpful to take one step back. To prove your molecular skills but perhaps in a more succinct manner?”
Reply 2
What type of job were you applying for?
Original post by ajj2000
What type of job were you applying for?

I was applying for a Associate Practitioner role in a lab setting (I was employed at one of the lighthouse labs up until technically tomorrow morning because I was due to work night shift but they told us not to come in the last 2 days as there have been no samples for a while and won’t have been as they’ve all been redirected) - the lab itself closed officially today because Boris stopped mass testing covid. 😐

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending