A level geography case study questions

Watch this thread
abcd0613
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
There was basically a question "Using a case study, evaluate the attempted and possible solutions to the problems of sustainable management of a hazardous environment." (may june p31 CIE 9696)

I have two interpretations for this question and I do not know what is right. Let's say I write about mass movement here.
1) I write about the problems that arise while sustainably managing the coastline. e.g. soft engineering is not effective. And then I write about the solutions to overcome those problems e.g. use hard engineering for a short-term period.
OR
2) I write about the problems of the slope itself e.g. steep, loose soil, prone to weathering. Then I talk about the methods to overcome those problems e.g. soil nailing.

Can somebody please help?
archere
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by abcd0613)
There was basically a question "Using a case study, evaluate the attempted and possible solutions to the problems of sustainable management of a hazardous environment." (may june p31 CIE 9696)

I have two interpretations for this question and I do not know what is right. Let's say I write about mass movement here.
1) I write about the problems that arise while sustainably managing the coastline. e.g. soft engineering is not effective. And then I write about the solutions to overcome those problems e.g. use hard engineering for a short-term period.
OR
2) I write about the problems of the slope itself e.g. steep, loose soil, prone to weathering. Then I talk about the methods to overcome those problems e.g. soil nailing.

Can somebody please help?
So this question has two parts:

1. Evaluate the attempted sustainable management strategies
- What has been attempted?
- Has it been sucessful? Or, unsuccessful? Has it been successful in one sense but not another? For example, has it been environmentally sustainable but not economically sustainable. Think about the three pillars of sustainability here!
-
2. Evaluate the possible solutions to the problems of sustainable management
- What were the problems as to why some of the attempted sustainable management strategies were unsuccessful?
- What solutions could be used to overcome these problems and ensure more successful sustainable management?

Remember this question is underpinned by a case study. Consistently refer back to it and bring in other examples where necessary to add nuance to your answer. Also, add nuance to your answer by thinking long-term versus short-term. Make sure you conclude with a clear evaluative statement and that you have justified reasoning behind your final evaluation!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads