A level geography case study question - I have two interpretations for this

Watch this thread
abcd0613
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
There was a question in past paper 9696 CIE oct nov 2018 paper 31:
"Describe the problems of sustainably managing a stretch or stretches of coastline and evaluate the attempted solutions. [20]"

I have two interpretations for this:
1) Describe the problems at the coast e.g. fast erosion. And then evaluate the attempted solutions e.g. was beach nourishment effective and sustainable?
OR
2) Describe the problems arising from the sustainable management e.g. soft engineering is not very effective. And then evaluate attempted solutions to overcome the problems arising from management e.g. use both hard engineering and soft engineering.

What is correct? Can somebody please help me?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
t_prap
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by abcd0613)
There was a question in past paper 9696 CIE oct nov 2018 paper 31:
"Describe the problems of sustainably managing a stretch or stretches of coastline and evaluate the attempted solutions. [20]"

I have two interpretations for this:
1) Describe the problems at the coast e.g. fast erosion. And then evaluate the attempted solutions e.g. was beach nourishment effective and sustainable?
OR
2) Describe the problems arising from the sustainable management e.g. soft engineering is not very effective. And then evaluate attempted solutions to overcome the problems arising from management e.g. use both hard engineering and soft engineering.

What is correct? Can somebody please help me?
It is both. Describe the problems on the coast first, and then talk about solutions. Then evaluate the solutions. It is 20 marker so you have to do both and need a lot of specific evaluation. Hope that helps
abcd0613
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by t_prap)
It is both. Describe the problems on the coast first, and then talk about solutions. Then evaluate the solutions. It is 20 marker so you have to do both and need a lot of specific evaluation. Hope that helps
So do I
1. Describe the problems on the coast e.g. fast erosion
2. Describe problems arising from the sustainable management e.g. soft engineering is not very effective to combat such fast erosion.
2. Evaluate attempted solutions to overcome the problems arising from management e.g. one soft engineering technique has been replaced with another new technique, and this was more effective. e.g. soft engineering and hard engineering were used together, and were effective, but hard engineering was unsustainable.
?
Thank you for your help
Last edited by abcd0613; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads