The Student Room Group

A-level options for social sciences??

I'm picking my a-levels at the moment, and have settled on history, spanish, and maths as a 4th choice. However, I'm trying to pick between geography and religious studies.
For context, I want to go on to uni, most likely to do something in the social sciences, like politics or law, and potentially with a language.
The units my school teaches for RS at a-level are based on philosophy and ethics - it looks very interesting, but I also quite enjoy geography, especially the human side. Would any of these subjects be more advantageous for me? Any thoughts?
First off, as someone in their second year of A levels, wish you all the best with doing 4 A levels, trust me everyone struggles with just doing 3, but if you feel like you're competent then go ahead, but it's really not recommended at all. Second, although this is a personal choice I may add that it's best not to base topics that are of interest to you within a subject as a reason to doing a level as sometimes it's not what is learned. I have friends doing A-level Geography and they all comment on how A-level Geography is almost a repeat of GCSE! They doing the same trip to Stratford and everything! Just some general advice, sorry if it's not helpful enough I do sciences so not really my field! Best wishes on your GCSE!!!!!
Original post by denksn
I'm picking my a-levels at the moment, and have settled on history, spanish, and maths as a 4th choice. However, I'm trying to pick between geography and religious studies.
For context, I want to go on to uni, most likely to do something in the social sciences, like politics or law, and potentially with a language.
The units my school teaches for RS at a-level are based on philosophy and ethics - it looks very interesting, but I also quite enjoy geography, especially the human side. Would any of these subjects be more advantageous for me? Any thoughts?

It wont make any difference. Subjects like Politics and Law wont require any particular subject. Having an essay subject will be helpful and having Maths will keep your choices open. There is no need for a 4th subject as all universities make offers on 3. Taking a 4th just adds to the pressure and can be detrimental as you spread your time too widely. Sometimes starting with 4 and dropping 1 can be useful as you can drop the subject you like least. If your school insists you start with 4 then your 4th can be any subject you will enjoy the most.
Reply 3
Original post by Efuarose123
First off, as someone in their second year of A levels, wish you all the best with doing 4 A levels, trust me everyone struggles with just doing 3, but if you feel like you're competent then go ahead, but it's really not recommended at all. Second, although this is a personal choice I may add that it's best not to base topics that are of interest to you within a subject as a reason to doing a level as sometimes it's not what is learned. I have friends doing A-level Geography and they all comment on how A-level Geography is almost a repeat of GCSE! They doing the same trip to Stratford and everything! Just some general advice, sorry if it's not helpful enough I do sciences so not really my field! Best wishes on your GCSE!!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest