The Student Room Group

St George's, University of London A101 Offer Holders 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jzdzm
I think about 50% of students had jobs (including myself), so it's definitely doable. The workload is high though, so it's not something I would necessarily recommend, but obviously lots of people need to work to live.

Thank you for all of the useful info you're giving! :smile: I'm just wondering what kind of jobs people tend to get to balance with time taken up by the course? Is it mostly retail and hospitality eg shop/bar/cafe work? I'll almost certainly have to get a part-time job so I'm just trying to prepare and get some streams of income lined up ahead of starting. I was also looking into training as a HCA so that I could take up bank shifts on weekends but I'm not sure how to go about training for this at the moment as I already work a full-time 9-5 job.
Original post by kieranv96
Thank you for all of the useful info you're giving! :smile: I'm just wondering what kind of jobs people tend to get to balance with time taken up by the course? Is it mostly retail and hospitality eg shop/bar/cafe work? I'll almost certainly have to get a part-time job so I'm just trying to prepare and get some streams of income lined up ahead of starting. I was also looking into training as a HCA so that I could take up bank shifts on weekends but I'm not sure how to go about training for this at the moment as I already work a full-time 9-5 job.

I’m not sure you necessarily need to train as a HCA to get a HCA job. I found it difficult to get a HCA job with no experience but I did get a bank support worker role in a complex care residence. I’ve done training through that company. I’m thinking that this will give me a leg up if I need a HCA job at some point. So you could look for support worker roles as there are a lot out there.
Reply 22
Original post by jzdzm
Mon am: PBL pm: lectures / SDL (self-directed learning)
Tues am: lectures pm: clinical skills
Weds am: lectures / SDL pm: off
Thurs am: PBL pm: lectures / SDL
Fri am: anatomy pm: lectures

all subject to change (this is what it was like for me) also not sure what the current plans are in terms of online vs in person sessions

Thanks for this! I was wondering if you could give an estimate about the duration of timetabled days? i.e., is it like a 9-5/longer/shorter and how much self-studying is involved? Could I work Saturdays and Sundays?
where would we go about looking for a house/accommodation with other GEM students? Ofc there's spareroom and stuff for just general house shares but just wanted to know if there's any way people found other GEMs
Original post by kieranv96

Most people do HCA work. I already had a fairly flexible job before starting so I continued that, so I can't advise on how to get an HCA job.
Original post by l333la
Thanks for this! I was wondering if you could give an estimate about the duration of timetabled days? i.e., is it like a 9-5/longer/shorter and how much self-studying is involved? Could I work Saturdays and Sundays?

Usually 9-5.
How much self-studying is a very individual question. You could do strictly e.g. 8-6 Mon-fri, and that might be enough. On the other hand you could spend every waking minute studying and it could feel like not enough. I would strongly advise against working every Sat and Sunday though because you need time off, and some degree of social life is nice too.
Original post by shedanon2424
where would we go about looking for a house/accommodation with other GEM students? Ofc there's spareroom and stuff for just general house shares but just wanted to know if there's any way people found other GEMs

I think people met at the offer holders day and then made house share groups. There's also a Facebook group for accommodation for SGUL students, not sure how good it is and can't remember the name but if you search you should be able.to find it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Is there going to be an offer holders day?
Original post by mattbhayes
Is there going to be an offer holders day?

Yeah they’re going on this month. I booked mine last year. You should be able to google it and find it on their website.
@jzdzm Just checking term dates & came across 30th August as the 2022 start date - this seems quite early, did you start in August last year? Thanks :smile:
Original post by 2Ariadne2
@jzdzm Just checking term dates & came across 30th August as the 2022 start date - this seems quite early, did you start in August last year? Thanks :smile:

Yes it usually starts in August
Hey, looking forward to meeting everyone and congratulations on offers etc! Unfortunately I can't make the offer holder day, but George's said we're able to go and visit to look round the Uni and the hospital (or be shown round more informally by current students we might know).

Does anyone fancy co-ordinating with other people who can't make the offer holder day get to look around together?

Reminder

For your own safety and that of others, do not post or request links to off site chat groups.

Keep all posts within Community Guidelines

~ GK
Please remember not to share any personal details on TSR.
(Including via PM.)

You can read more about how to stay safe online here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

~ GK
Original post by jzdzm
Yes it usually starts in August

Also, can I ask if you ever had (or will have) any responsibilities (lectures or other academic activities) that go past 6pm? I'm asking to see if I would still be able to teach my group exercise classes in the evenings - Thanks again :smile:
Hi guys,

Random one - would anyone want to look at renting privately?

I come with two dogs so it’s a bit different!
Original post by 2Ariadne2
Also, can I ask if you ever had (or will have) any responsibilities (lectures or other academic activities) that go past 6pm? I'm asking to see if I would still be able to teach my group exercise classes in the evenings - Thanks again :smile:

Not that I remember in first year, everything finishes by 5.30pm. But keep Fridays free for GEP Friday in the SU bar if you can! :smile:
In later years on placement there are very occasional evening / weekend / night shifts.
Original post by jzdzm
Not that I remember in first year, everything finishes by 5.30pm. But keep Fridays free for GEP Friday in the SU bar if you can! :smile:
In later years on placement there are very occasional evening / weekend / night shifts.

Thank you :smile:
Has anyone who has confirmed SGUL as a firm choice received emails about fitness to practice checks?

In the offer email: "You are not required to start either your Occupational Health or DBS check unless you select St George's as your firm choice, at which time full instructions will be sent to you by email"
At the offer holder tour today, someone from the admissions team said this email will be coming around the start of June don’t worry!

Original post by mattbhayes
Has anyone who has confirmed SGUL as a firm choice received emails about fitness to practice checks?

In the offer email: "You are not required to start either your Occupational Health or DBS check unless you select St George's as your firm choice, at which time full instructions will be sent to you by email"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending