The Student Room Group

How do you select a firm and insurance choice?

Im told at school I have to now pick my two firm and insurance choice for uni but I have no idea how to actually go about this, can someone tell me how to?
Original post by Byebyby
Im told at school I have to now pick my two firm and insurance choice for uni but I have no idea how to actually go about this, can someone tell me how to?

Normally, unis have offer holder days so you can get a real feeling of the uni and see how you'd fit. Most ppl I know suggest doing your 'dream' uni as your firm and your lowest offer as insurance. Also, check deadlines from the university because you don't have to decide now. I mean for personal statements I stuck to UCAS deadlines and it worked out fine, I still got interviews etc. so just do where you think you'd be the most happy
Reply 2
Original post by Bisma_Sahall
Normally, unis have offer holder days so you can get a real feeling of the uni and see how you'd fit. Most ppl I know suggest doing your 'dream' uni as your firm and your lowest offer as insurance. Also, check deadlines from the university because you don't have to decide now. I mean for personal statements I stuck to UCAS deadlines and it worked out fine, I still got interviews etc. so just do where you think you'd be the most happy

Yeah but I mean what do I actually do? Is there somewhere online I can go or do I have to email them saying "you are my firm". What do I do?
Only once you have ALL your decisions (offers or rejections) can you choose Firm and Insurance on UCAS Hub.
You then log into UCAS Hub and click on ‘Reply to your offers’ and 'Choose your ‘Firm’ choice'.

Read this first - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/the-smart-way-to-choosing-your-first-and-insurance-choices
Original post by Byebyby
Yeah but I mean what do I actually do? Is there somewhere online I can go or do I have to email them saying "you are my firm". What do I do?

https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/replying-offers-%E2%80%93-your-questions-answered

here's the UCAS website. they say you have to get all decisions first then there will be an option to reply through UCAS. though some universities may have earlier deadlines specific to them so just check your offer and when it has to be replied to. if they are before ucas, I believe you have to contact them or something, but if I'm being honest I'm not too sure since I haven't confirmed any of mine so just double-check with the school/careers advisor
Original post by Byebyby

Hi there @Byebyby, how are you?

As other people have said, you can only make your Firm and Insurance choices on UCAS once all of your university choices have responded with a decision. I think this is a good thing, because it gives you time to think about what you want to do. :smile:

Once your choices have all come back, then I would suggest weighing up which university is your top choice, and why. It is also helpful to visit the university as much as possible, including on any offer holder days which they provide. The most important thing to know when making your decision is that you are going to be comfortable at the university you choose, and visiting is the best way to find this out!

Your Insurance choice is exactly that - something to fall back on in the event that you don't secure your Firm choice. It's always recommended to make sure that you have a university with lower entry requirements than that of your Firm, so this lessens the chance of you going into Clearing. But make sure it is still a university that you would be 100% happy attending!

Good luck with your decisions!

Konnie, postgraduate student :smile:
Hey!

You've been given some amazing advice :biggrin:

If you're struggling between two unis - we have this helpful template here you could always try: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/advice/uni-vs-uni-which-one-should-you-choose

Good luck with your decision making :smile:
Original post by Byebyby

Hello if you go onto ucas and click on application it should allow you to chose you firm and insurance
Ucas speak for this is that you will: reply to my offers.

When you have decisions from all your choices you log into ucas and reply to all of them. Firm for your top choice. Insurance for another choice you like. Decline for the rest.
Reply 9
How about if the offer is for next year/2023?
Original post by Wsyer3
How about if the offer is for next year/2023?

If you apply this cycle for deferred entry then you reply to your offers this cycle.
It’s exactly the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending