This discussion is closed.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thank people!!! :flowers: I wish you all the best..more luck than me ! Hope you all get into the unis you want
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lottelo)
Is Bristol an LNAT university? And would you be content with durham?
Yeh, but they only* weight it out of 40- compared to 100 for gcse, 300 for AL and then another 40 for PS/Ref/AS/Additional A Levels/Personalised Factors. I'm praying I get in!!

*Only was once used optimistically, but now negatively as it is realised that this is the ground where most will get rejections/offers

I regret applying to Durham; I went up just before Xmas to see someone I know there and felt that it just wasn't for me. The whole thing was pretending to be Oxbridge, and it so isnt! It all felt quite contrived, and I think that if I go I'd just end up resenting my Cam rejection and feeling short changed. Plus, the course is apparently complete ****.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
Yeh, but they only* weight it out of 40- compared to 100 for gcse, 300 for AL and then another 40 for PS/Ref/AS/Additional A Levels/Personalised Factors. I'm praying I get in!!

*Only was once used optimistically, but now negatively as it is realised that this is the ground where most will get rejections/offers
Bristol is set to increase the weighting the LNAT has for an application. So many applicants are getting AAA these days for law, it's getting very hard to discriminate.
ashk87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I regret applying to Durham; I went up just before Xmas to see someone I know there and felt that it just wasn't for me. The whole thing was pretending to be Oxbridge, and it so isnt! It all felt quite contrived, and I think that if I go I'd just end up resenting my Cam rejection and feeling short changed. Plus, the course is apparently complete ****.
The course is supposed to be almost identical to the cambridge course, coming from sum1 who goes to Durham tho. From the ppl i've spoken to, only the SOAS and Birmingham law courses are very different from the way they teach you anywhere else for law (supposedly Birmingham have a very different structure). I wouldn't know anything truly unless i started all these courses myself, but Durham is a terrific place and Uni. Its got right to look itself in the mirror as if it is an Oxbridge.
Why do you say its not that gd? If i get rejected, i'll feel a lot beter if ur right, but apparently is brilliant.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Bristol is set to increase the weighting the LNAT has for an application. So many applicants are getting AAA these days for law, it's getting very hard to discriminate.
Yeah but not this year... it says on the admissions document they expect to give it more weight in the future. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I just wish the top universities went out on a limb and said, 'we will reject people who don't declare AS grades/dont have them included in their reference'. The present predicted grade system isn't working and it would significantly assist the process. More than anything though I wish universities would realise that if someone has AAAA at AS it will be included on the UCAS form!!
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah but not this year... it says on the admissions document they expect to give it more weight in the future. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I just wish the top universities went out on a limb and said, 'we will reject people who don't declare AS grades/dont have them included in their reference'. The present predicted grade system isn't working and it would significantly assist the process. More than anything though I wish universities would realise that if someone has AAAA at AS it will be included on the UCAS form!!
Actually, not always. My school point blank refuses to let anyone cash in or even mention, their AS grades...be they AAAAA or CCCC. They do however, give predicted grades (Although I agree that the predicted grade thing is REALLY messed up...some cases in my school are just crazy).
Dreama
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Pah, big news the system's wrong. We *knew* the system was wrong when we jumped in this whole mess.

I honestly believe that those with A grades should truly be A grades (ie ~ 275+ / 300) Or create an A* grade at this level to differentiate between us all.

* growls * (sorry, bad mood )

D xxxx
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People think that just because they are predicted A's they have the devine right to walk straight into a top 10 law school. Grades are only 50% of it.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
Pah, big news the system's wrong. We *knew* the system was wrong when we jumped in this whole mess.

I honestly believe that those with A grades should truly be A grades (ie ~ 275+ / 300) Or create an A* grade at this level to differentiate between us all.

D xxxx
That would leave me with no chance at all, Dreama, and you know how unfair that would be!! :eek:

Besides, I wanna agree with Mark. What is the other 50%? LNAT, p/s? reference? how many instruments you can play?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it will be introduced in two years time, don't worry, they can't just spring that on people
goneaway56
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

D xxxx
Exactly my sentiments.
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

D xxxx
And then what? All the universities would give places to the 4/5A* students, and everyone else would get rejected! It would be exactly the same mess as it is right now.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
People think that just because they are predicted A's they have the devine right to walk straight into a top 10 law school. Grades are only 50% of it.
If you're going to insult people, spell correctly; DIVINE!

I don't think there is anything wrong with people who have attained exemplary grades- as many of the UCL rejects have- thinking they would have got places. There isn't an interview, so grades are the crux of their application. To say grades are only 50% of it is crap- most top 10 law schools won't even consider you without an AAA prediction, in the absence of mitigating cirumstances.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by london_bum)
And then what? All the universities would give places to the 4/5A* students, and everyone else would get rejected! It would be exactly the same mess as it is right now.
How? There would be a finer differentiation as- at least for a few years- a smaller percentage achieved A*.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually, not always. My school point blank refuses to let anyone cash in or even mention, their AS grades...be they AAAAA or CCCC. They do however, give predicted grades (Although I agree that the predicted grade thing is REALLY messed up...some cases in my school are just crazy).
It so is: Some choice examples of predicted grade madness in my year

Person A: AS- French C, Geog C, English A, Theology A- Dropped Geog, given an AAA prediction

Person B: AS- French C, Eng Lit C, History A Biology C- Dropped Bio, given an AAA prediction

Person C: AS- Psychology D, ICT D, English D Spanish B- Predicted ABB [dropped English]
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How? There would be a finer differentiation as- at least for a few years- a smaller percentage achieved A*.
Mess, as in the people with the straight A* predictions will recieve 6 offers, and then everyone else will be missing out. It'd just complicate matters as people aren't going to take 6 offers...so places which might have originally gone to someone else will be lost...and a larger proportion of those with still excellent grades (like 4As), will be left university-less and be forced to reapply. Or something along those lines.
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It so is: Some choice examples of predicted grade madness in my year

Person A: AS- French C, Geog C, English A, Theology A- Dropped Geog, given an AAA prediction

Person B: AS- French C, Eng Lit C, History A Biology C- Dropped Bio, given an AAA prediction

Person C: AS- Psychology D, ICT D, English D Spanish B- Predicted ABB [dropped English]
It's just plain wrong, and it causes all sorts of unfair situations. I know two people applying for medicine. One got BBBB at AS and is predicted ABB, the other got ABBB, and is predicted AAA, so the first person can't apply exactly where they want (even though they are of equal ability to the second), and the first person can.
tomcoolinguk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mess, as in the people with the straight A* predictions will recieve 6 offers, and then everyone else will be missing out. It'd just complicate matters as people aren't going to take 6 offers...so places which might have originally gone to someone else will be lost...and a larger proportion of those with still excellent grades (like 4As), will be left university-less and be forced to reapply. Or something along those lines.
No... because the university lecture halls wouldn't just be left empty!
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No... because the university lecture halls wouldn't just be left empty!
Eh...you know what I mean! It would require even more strategic picking by universities, and that can only end in disappointment.
goneaway56
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eventually everywhere would reach an equilibrium, not everywhere will ask for 4A* grades.

e.g. Oxbridge - 4A*
UCL/LSE - 3A*
Durham/Warwick 2A*
Kings/Nottingham 1A*

They won't be left university less, the entrance requirements will change according to the popularity of each course and the quality of applicants they can attract AND fill the course.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads