The Student Room Group

Should I pick GCSE French or GCSE Drama? Please Help..

I’m a Year 9 student and I pick my GCSEs next week and I’m not sure what to do.
I only get 3 options for my GCSEs because it’s compulsory to do triple science (everyone in my year has to do it).

What I’m doing already:
Compulsory:
- English language
- English literature
- Maths
-Triple Science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) Picked options:
- History
- Art
I’m really stuck on what to do for my last one, I’ll tell you what I think about each subject and how I’m doing:

French:
I’ve gotten good grades in French, usually around 8s or 9s, and I’ve been doing it since primary school. My teachers have said that I would do well if I chose and recommend for me to do it. It would also mean that I get an Ebacc which is good for university.

The problem I have with French is that I’m not extremely motivated with it, I can’t find it in me to revise words or practice the grammar. Also, I find it really boring and I don’t think I could last doing it for another 2 years.

But, my teachers are quite nice and my Mum said it would be good for me to do it (she’s not pushy she just recommends it). Also, quite a few of my friends are going to do it.

Drama:
Drama is one of my all time favourite subjects! I have a really supportive teacher ( that I would probably get for my GCSEs) and it has helped me build up my confidence, which I really struggle with.

My grades in drama are good (I’m also a working around an 8 or 9). My teacher said that they would really like for me to do it. Also, a lot of my friends would do it too.

But, I’m scared that the course will be a lot different to what I’m doing now and that I won’t enjoy. Also, if I get put in a group with people who don’t take it seriously I would really struggle.

Overall, I would probably get decent grades doing either and I would get an Ebacc doing French, which opens a lot of doors. But, I enjoy drama more and would find more motivation for it. I don’t think I would take either into further education, e.g. A levels or degree level.

Any ideas or insight would be really helpful, thank you! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Ebacc opens no doors. Maybe the doors of your school a little wider during open evening since it makes league table results look better. If you don't see yourself doing French at A-level, feel free to drop it.
Original post by Sinncereli
I’m a Year 9 student and I pick my GCSEs next week and I’m not sure what to do. I only get 3 options for my GCSEs because it’s compulsory to do triple science (everyone in my year has to do it).What I’m doing already:Compulsory:- English language - English literature - Maths-Triple Science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology) Picked options:- History- ArtI’m really stuck on what to do for my last one, I’ll tell you what I think about each subject and how I’m doing:French:I’ve gotten good grades in French, usually around 8s or 9s, and I’ve been doing it since primary school. My teachers have said that I would do well if I chose and recommend for me to do it. It would also mean that I get an Ebacc which is good for university.The problem I have with French is that I’m not extremely motivated with it, I can’t find it in me to revise words or practice the grammar. Also, I find it really boring and I don’t think I could last doing it for another 2 years. But, my teachers are quite nice and my Mum said it would be good for me to do it (she’s not pushy she just recommends it). Also, quite a few of my friends are going to do it.Drama: Drama is one of my all time favourite subjects! I have a really supportive teacher ( that I would probably get for my GCSEs) and it has helped me build up my confidence, which I really struggle with.My grades in drama are good (I’m also a working around an 8 or 9). My teacher said that they would really like for me to do it. Also, a lot of my friends would do it too.But, I’m scared that the course will be a lot different to what I’m doing now and that I won’t enjoy. Also, if I get put in a group with people who don’t take it seriously I would really struggle.Overall, I would probably get decent grades doing either and I would get an Ebacc doing French, which opens a lot of doors. But, I enjoy drama more and would find more motivation for it. I don’t think I would take either into further education, e.g. A levels or degree level. Any ideas or insight would be really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Ebacc is meaningless, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you... sadly I didn't know this when I picked my options and now I'm stuck with subjects I find boring. You'll regret picking French based on this, pick drama.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vapordave
Ebacc opens no doors. Maybe the doors of your school a little wider during open evening since it makes league table results look better. If you don't see yourself doing French at A-level, feel free to drop it.

Thanks! Everyone keeps telling me that I need the Ebacc because it would help me. My mum said that I should do it because they do actually consider your GCSEs at uni…
Reply 4
Original post by sufys
Ebacc is meaningless, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you... sadly I didn't know this when I picked my options and now I'm stuck with subjects I find boring. You'll regret picking French based on this, pick drama.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Ebacc only benefits your school - not you - no university requires the Ebacc nor a MFL GCSE.

I'm a teacher and am being totally honest here - do the subjects YOU enjoy and you'll get good grades.
Thanks! Everyone keeps telling me that I need the Ebacc because it would help me. My mum said that I should do it because they do actually consider your GCSEs at uni…

I can't stress enough how completely meaningless it is. Though my secondary school has now introduced the EBacc for some reason, I didn't do it and haven't faced any difficulty. What counts is your grades. (though as long as you get like 6s A-levels can make up for GCSEs)
since you're equally good at both subjects I would say drama as you enjoy it more.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest