The Student Room Group

international transfer student doing highers, still anxious about grades

hi so i basically transferred to scotland from indonesia 4 - 5 months ago and am doing Highers (maths, phys, chem, bio, english, engineering) with no nat 5 background. i got put right in the middle of the course and now that it's near exam season i'm a bit anxious on what to do. my working grade is A1A2B3B4B4C5 or A*ABBBC . i'm terrified of not getting the grades for uni especially the top ones although i'm aiming for some english unis so maybe i have time until my Advanced Highers? any tips (other than doing past papers) for getting better especially at chemistry and engineering? i'm aiming for chem eng and maths btw
Look your grades are already looking great and on your report card it will only have a letter it wont specify if its a high A, B or low C it will just be letters so don’t worry about that. Even if you dont get the grades you want take the subjects next year instead.
Original post by AnAveragePupil
Look your grades are already looking great and on your report card it will only have a letter it wont specify if its a high A, B or low C it will just be letters so don’t worry about that. Even if you dont get the grades you want take the subjects next year instead.

thanks a bunch, thats really reassuring
Your grades look great! They're really impressive for someone that just got thrown into the deep end. What do you plan to study after school? Any particular uni's that you have your eye on?

I don't do engineering but for chem just make sure you really understand the concepts especially unit 1 which all about how well you understand the trends and bonding- can you explain it fully so that a junior can understand as unit 1 is very understanding based unit. Unit 2 is mostly learning reactions and i personally think is a little more straight forward and unit 3 is just calculations mainly which are rather simple so just practice them Just make sure you understand the content and implement this with practice questions and past papers and you should get a good grade.

English is a lot more harder to study for but make sure you learn a few quotes for your 10 marker in your poetry and since the SQA has revealed what poems are you going to be in the paper (check english revision guide if you don't already know what poem will show) just find other poems that link well with the extract . Even if you don't revise the 10 marker...if you get all the other questions that are worth 10 marks and do the commonalities and extract part of the 10 marker you should get around 14/20 which is an A. For essays just make sure you can memorise quotations and make essay plans (recycle quotes wherever possible so you don't have to memorise alot!) and write essays in timed conditions. RUAE is just a matter of practice so just practice how to answer the different types of questions. For the final comparison question identify areas of (dis)agreements and find all the revelant quotes from both passages and that should get you 3/4 marks.

Any more help just ask!
Original post by Nara_shortcake31
Your grades look great! They're really impressive for someone that just got thrown into the deep end. What do you plan to study after school? Any particular uni's that you have your eye on?

I don't do engineering but for chem just make sure you really understand the concepts especially unit 1 which all about how well you understand the trends and bonding- can you explain it fully so that a junior can understand as unit 1 is very understanding based unit. Unit 2 is mostly learning reactions and i personally think is a little more straight forward and unit 3 is just calculations mainly which are rather simple so just practice them Just make sure you understand the content and implement this with practice questions and past papers and you should get a good grade.

English is a lot more harder to study for but make sure you learn a few quotes for your 10 marker in your poetry and since the SQA has revealed what poems are you going to be in the paper (check english revision guide if you don't already know what poem will show) just find other poems that link well with the extract . Even if you don't revise the 10 marker...if you get all the other questions that are worth 10 marks and do the commonalities and extract part of the 10 marker you should get around 14/20 which is an A. For essays just make sure you can memorise quotations and make essay plans (recycle quotes wherever possible so you don't have to memorise alot!) and write essays in timed conditions. RUAE is just a matter of practice so just practice how to answer the different types of questions. For the final comparison question identify areas of (dis)agreements and find all the revelant quotes from both passages and that should get you 3/4 marks.

Any more help just ask!

thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions! i'm still brushing up on my unit 2 chemistry but luckily there's a revision session with my chemistry teacher. I've done a lot better now in RUAE but I am still motivating myself to revise 10 marker structures and essays. I'm eyeing for Maths in Oxford, Chemical Engineering in Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt and EEE in Imperial or UCL (although if all hell broke lose during the exam Southampton and Nottingham still sounds like a good choice). I'm aiming mostly for English Unis since taking a gap year to make me eligible for home fees sounds too risky since I don't have settled status
Original post by Rottero_A21
thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions! i'm still brushing up on my unit 2 chemistry but luckily there's a revision session with my chemistry teacher. I've done a lot better now in RUAE but I am still motivating myself to revise 10 marker structures and essays. I'm eyeing for Maths in Oxford, Chemical Engineering in Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt and EEE in Imperial or UCL (although if all hell broke lose during the exam Southampton and Nottingham still sounds like a good choice). I'm aiming mostly for English Unis since taking a gap year to make me eligible for home fees sounds too risky since I don't have settled status

That sounds great! Good luck with all that and since you have been eyeing a few different courses fair bit of a warning for your final application to UCAS you only get to write 1 personal statement to all 5 choices so if you're toying between different subjects it won't work in ur favour. Applying to Oxford for Maths with a PS that mentions chemical engineering won't look very good! U only get 1 Personal statement so tailour it to 1 subject and ur gap year can help you hopefully to pick what subject you truly want to study. All the best and if you ever need help with any of your subjects or anything else just ping a message !
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest