The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Maths Paper 3: Statistics & Mechanics 9MA0 03 - 21 Jun 2022 [Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snorkman
Australia!!!! Not Austria. I am really not good at the large dataset.

Haha does anyone have any good resources for the LDS? Like summary guides etc. Ive seen some but I just want to check i havent missed any!

Also I’m struggling to filter out my paper 3 revision based on the advance info! Does anyone know of any topics that we can safely discard at this stage? Because the advance info does feel like absolutely everything (except maybe without stuff like census, quota, etc 😭)
Original post by gracieex
Haha does anyone have any good resources for the LDS? Like summary guides etc. Ive seen some but I just want to check i havent missed any!

Also I’m struggling to filter out my paper 3 revision based on the advance info! Does anyone know of any topics that we can safely discard at this stage? Because the advance info does feel like absolutely everything (except maybe without stuff like census, quota, etc 😭)

For mechanics it is pretty much everything from year 1 and 2 as they could ask u a mix of stuff in mechanics for stats you can probably filter out histograms but I really think that is it.
Stats and mechanics - I thought it was leave the best until last not leave the worst until last 😂 so not looking forward to this paper
I'm not as worried for this exam as I should be lol, I think for some reason I'm assuming all the knowledge will just flood back in at some point
Two vector questions on the mechanics? obviously the first point of the advanced info is vectors, but by 'variable acceleration; language of kinematics', does that mean variable acceleration in vector form, like differentiating/integrating to get expressions for s and v?
Original post by oliball
Two vector questions on the mechanics? obviously the first point of the advanced info is vectors, but by 'variable acceleration; language of kinematics', does that mean variable acceleration in vector form, like differentiating/integrating to get expressions for s and v?

you might be right actually

first q is for sure gonna be vector form of the suvat equations, potentially using integration/differentiation to move between acceleration/displacement and velocity

2nd point is vague, but I definitely think vectors, I'm not sure what 'language of kinematics' is alluding to, but maybe it's interpreting language like "moving north east of origin" or whatever into vector form?

3rd point fairly obvious, there will be a projectile with constant acceleration

4th point is gonna be an object on an inclined plane, in equilibrium, working out Fmax and stuff surely?

Then the last question, a static object, with friction acting on it in some way, taking moments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Which year's past papers do you guys reckon are the hardest for stats and mechanics?
The advanced info seems useless for this paper, are there any topics that are excluded on it or does it literally have everything on the spec?
Original post by sdhbsdjb
The advanced info seems useless for this paper, are there any topics that are excluded on it or does it literally have everything on the spec?

yeah advanced info is useless, they kind of ask everything every year in paper 3
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by othello03
I wouldnt be as worried if I had some time to revise, I just don't know where I can possible fit it in 😔

your revision ? possibly over the weekend , assuming if your exam is tomorrow or friday
A summary of the LDS which I have found useful (sorry for so many files):
Original post by joylit_36
your revision ? possibly over the weekend , assuming if your exam is tomorrow or friday

biology is this Friday, which I'm way behind in so really need to focus on that. then chemistry is on Monday, and the grade boundaries are insane so I need like 80%+ on that paper. Also have chemistry paper 3 next Thursday and biology paper 3 next Friday, not much time after stats so I'm gonna have to squeeze some of the content for the paper 3s into my revision for the paper 2s.

I definitely want to do some maths over the weekend but chem really need priority there.
Original post by Daniil.M
A summary of the LDS which I have found useful (sorry for so many files):

thanks!!
ive been doing the stats papers in order and the jump from the sample/specimen to the 2018 paper was so humbling. these questions r genuinely so difficult im terrifeid for next week
Original post by jxn2234
ive been doing the stats papers in order and the jump from the sample/specimen to the 2018 paper was so humbling. these questions r genuinely so difficult im terrifeid for next week

what about mechanics ? i literally can only do two topics
what about mechanics ? i literally can only do two topics

havent even started revision for mech and i thought i was prepared enough for stats to just do all the past papers today. but i was very wrong hsksjcssj
will laminas be on the test
Original post by everythingbagel
Which year's past papers do you guys reckon are the hardest for stats and mechanics?

2018 stats genuinely felt like a different exam board idk why it was so much harder. i also scored pretty low in 2020 but havent done 2021 yet
Original post by othello03
biology is this Friday, which I'm way behind in so really need to focus on that. then chemistry is on Monday, and the grade boundaries are insane so I need like 80%+ on that paper. Also have chemistry paper 3 next Thursday and biology paper 3 next Friday, not much time after stats so I'm gonna have to squeeze some of the content for the paper 3s into my revision for the paper 2s.

I definitely want to do some maths over the weekend but chem really need priority there.

oh wow, that sounds like a lot , good luck in bio & chem ! you'll probably do well !

i'm literally so done for , my school is forcing me to go for some team-building activity trip in wales for the whole of friday & saturday so i'll have to grind on sunday & monday . which is a problem because they're some mechanic topic which i'm still very unsure about
oh wow, that sounds like a lot , good luck in bio & chem ! you'll probably do well !

i'm literally so done for , my school is forcing me to go for some team-building activity trip in wales for the whole of friday & saturday so i'll have to grind on sunday & monday . which is a problem because they're some mechanic topic which i'm still very unsure about

erm what? do they know it's a-levels lol?

surely you can't be made to go, you won't even be at that school in a weeks time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending