The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Further Maths Paper 4D: Decision Maths 2 9FM0 4D - 27 Jun 2022 [Chat]

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 4D: Decision Mathematics 2 9FM0 4D - 27 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Monday 27th June PM
Length: 1h30

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone revising for this? My teaching was really bad and I’m feeling not confident at all. I know the boundaries are usually the lowest for this paper. Does anyone have the 2019 mark for A and A* on this paper alone?
im just gonna do all the exercises on the edexcel textbook and maybe a past paper, its such a slog to complete a full transportation problem question or hungarian so i cba to do those tho but probably have to practise dynamic programming cause i suck at it. D1 was kind of nice with that atleast, i was expecting to do a full two-stage simplex problem but it was only 1 iteration (even tho i still got it wrong lol)

https://www.escg.ac.uk/docs/exams/grade-boundaries-general-information/edexcel-gce-notional-grade-boundaries/
I think this is accurate, because the numbers add up for grade boundaries and it says 57 A* 76% and 48 A 64% which looks doable i think.
How is everyone doing? I feel like I will fail this paper I have no energy to study and my teacher was useless
Original post by E_H_1234567
How is everyone doing? I feel like I will fail this paper I have no energy to study and my teacher was useless

I'm feeling okay about it but I have a really good teacher for Decision. How did you find D1 and the 2 Core papers?
Original post by IggyC143
I'm feeling okay about it but I have a really good teacher for Decision. How did you find D1 and the 2 Core papers?

Really good, this one is the only one that worries me
Really good, this one is the only one that worries me

Any particular topics? I find Game Theory and Recurrence Relations a big pain.
Original post by ggggggggname6
im just gonna do all the exercises on the edexcel textbook and maybe a past paper, its such a slog to complete a full transportation problem question or hungarian so i cba to do those tho but probably have to practise dynamic programming cause i suck at it. D1 was kind of nice with that atleast, i was expecting to do a full two-stage simplex problem but it was only 1 iteration (even tho i still got it wrong lol)

https://www.escg.ac.uk/docs/exams/grade-boundaries-general-information/edexcel-gce-notional-grade-boundaries/
I think this is accurate, because the numbers add up for grade boundaries and it says 57 A* 76% and 48 A 64% which looks doable i think.

the notional grade boundaries don't necessarily add up perfectly - if you use the combo FP1/FS1 the A* boundaries add to 238 but the boundary was 237. It's a good rough indicator though, and is mainly intended for teachers to grade mocks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Any particular topics? I find Game Theory and Recurrence Relations a big pain.

Game theory and first order recurrence (sometimes flows)
Game theory and first order recurrence (sometimes flows)

Yeah first order recurrence is annoying. Flows is just long but not usually too difficult in my opinion. How many marks do you think you've got from the first 3 papers and what grade are you aiming for?
Yeah first order recurrence is annoying. Flows is just long but not usually too difficult in my opinion. How many marks do you think you've got from the first 3 papers and what grade are you aiming for?

I think I have about 165 for the first three papers and I’m aiming for an A just a bit worried that boundaries will be super high since everyone found this year very easy so I’m aiming for around 205-210. I need around 45 marks for this paper. What about u and what grade are you aiming for? Further maths is not part of my uni condition though (I have a choice to get an A in this or computer science) so strictly I don’t need it but I want to be super safe.
I think I have about 165 for the first three papers and I’m aiming for an A just a bit worried that boundaries will be super high since everyone found this year very easy so I’m aiming for around 205-210. I need around 45 marks for this paper. What about u and what grade are you aiming for? Further maths is not part of my uni condition though (I have a choice to get an A in this or computer science) so strictly I don’t need it but I want to be super safe.

I'm aiming for an A*. I'm also concerned about grade boundaries. I think I've got around 200 so far. Maybe 195 but it could be as much as 205. No idea what I need from D2 because I have no clue about how high boundaries could possibly go.
Original post by _gcx
the notional grade boundaries don't necessarily add up perfectly - if you use the combo FP1/FS1 the A* boundaries add to 238 but the boundary was 237. It's a good rough indicator though, and is mainly intended for teachers to grade mocks.

Oh okay thank you!
Anyone got any predictions for the boundaries for an A and an A*. Just curious. This year's papers have been at least slightly easier than previous years I would say. But the proportion of people achieving top grades should also be higher than 2019. Also how many marks you think you have from the first 3 papers.
rest in peace a* :smile:
rest in peace a* :smile:

That last question 🥲. I attempted part a and might have got it but it was vile.
(edited 1 year ago)
What do we think on boundaries? I’m thinking maybe the same as 2019 or maybe 10-20 marks higher maximum?
What do we think on boundaries? I’m thinking maybe the same as 2019 or maybe 10-20 marks higher maximum?
That last question 🥲. I attempted part a and might have got it but it was vile.

that question was bad i got k/1-p(p^n) - k/1-p but i did it wrong 90% sure
the game theory question i got k = 1 but also probably wrong
the hungarian, transportation, flows, second order recurrance relation, decision tree questions were decent tho, i didnt even attempt the 14 marker on dynamic programming because i had no time lol
that question was bad i got k/1-p(p^n) - k/1-p but i did it wrong 90% sure
the game theory question i got k = 1 but also probably wrong
the hungarian, transportation, flows, second order recurrance relation, decision tree questions were decent tho, i didnt even attempt the 14 marker on dynamic programming because i had no time lol

I also got K is one for game theory, for hungarian I think I got 158? Second order I got r^2 + 6r + 9 = 0, A i got 1 and B -4/3 I think. For the flow the max I got was 98. Don’t remember anything else.. I got dynamic wrong (should get method marks) and didn’t attempt last question.

Quick Reply