Edexcel GCSE Mathematics Paper 1 (Non-Calculator) Higher 1MA1 1H - 20 May 2022 [Chat]

Watch this thread
Poll: How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?
Loved the paper - Feeling positive (118)
18.44%
The paper was reasonable (236)
36.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
26.25%
It was TERRIBLE (118)
18.44%
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics Paper 1 (Non-Calculator) Higher Tier 1MA1 1H - 20 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Friday 20th May AM
Length: 1h30

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
Last edited by Mythical Pingu; 3 months ago
alberw21
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
This applies to all the Edexcel maths papers, but are topics that aren't listed in the advance information list appear in our exams? e.g. congruency, bearings, loci, etc.
mesub
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I don't believe so, no.
It looks like they've not put that one because it requires equipment, and COVID may have meant people haven't had access to it so it looks like they won't test those elements, which is fair enough.
Supremolga
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hey, are the mathsgenie predicted papers 2022 accurate for what might be on the exams?
Not-Pikatue
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They are questions that are based on the topics from the advanced information meaning they are kind of accurate but in the actual exam you might have a different type of the same topic, but I would highly recommend doing them as revision as practice
TTAva2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Supremolga)
hey, are the mathsgenie predicted papers 2022 accurate for what might be on the exams?
yes. much more effective than doing past papers
TTAva2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Supremolga)

(Original post by Not-Pikatue)
They are questions that are based on the topics from the advanced information meaning they are kind of accurate but in the actual exam you might have a different type of the same topic, but I would highly recommend doing them as revision as practice
you know in the list where it says simplifiying surds does that mean all the other stuff to do with surds wont be needed?
Usernamesaredum
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TTAva2000)

you know in the list where it says simplifiying surds does that mean all the other stuff to do with surds wont be needed?
Learn all surds things to be safe because it may be useful
Edit: focus on simplification but learn other things
Last edited by Usernamesaredum; 1 month ago
Not-Pikatue
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You might as well learn the whole surds because the topic might be simplyfing surds but you might have to do other things like rationalising
Sb2005
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In paper 1, area of a sector is included.
As paper 1 is non calculator, I don't understand how I'll be able to do area of a sector without a calculator
Any help ?!?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes - you'll give an answer in terms of pi.
(Original post by Sb2005)
As paper 1 is non calculator, I don't understand how I'll be able to do area of a sector without a calculator
Any help ?!?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Any help ?!?
1. for any question on circles or sectors you would give your area answer as a multiple of pi. The angle will most likely be one that simplifies nicely with 360
2. on more complex questions (eg where the area of a triangle is subtracted from a sector) you are expected to know the exact value of sin(30). sin (45) and sin(60) to use in the 0.5absin(C) formula
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
Sb2005
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
1. for any question on circles or sectors you would give your area answer as a multiple of pi. The angle will most likely be one that simplifies nicely with 360
2. on more complex questions (eg where the area of a triangle is subtracted from a sector) you are expected to know the exact value of sin(30). sin (45) and sin(60) to use in the 0.5absin(C) formula
Thank you!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you!
Another thought is that you could be given the area as a multiple of pi and have to work backwards to find an angle or the radius
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
I thought it was interesting that "Exact trigonometric values" appears on the advanced info for paper 1 but there is no other trigonometry topic mentioned. So they may just ask something as simple as "What is cos(30)?". But it's hard to guess.
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some things I have made for 2022 Edexcel GCSE maths that may be useful for some people viewing this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7166517
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7213040
Usernamesaredum
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notnek)
I thought it was interesting that "Exact trigonometric values" appears on the advanced info for paper 1 but there is no other trigonometry topic mentioned. So they may just ask something as simple as "What is cos(30)?". But it's hard to guess.
Area of a sector is on there, so they may be used for a sin value. They could also be used for Pythagoras theorem or link synoptically to other geometry (or even not geometry questions) (less likely)
oliviapope1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Usernamesaredum)
Area of a sector is on there, so they may be used for a sin value. They could also be used for Pythagoras theorem or link synoptically to other geometry (or even not geometry questions) (less likely)
i would love a question like that because i actually memorised all the trig values😭
Usernamesaredum
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Speaking of exact trig values, can some be written in different ways?
thrivingfrog
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Very scared guys I can't lie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads