The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics Paper 1 (Non-Calculator) Higher 1MA1 1H - 20 May 2022 [Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arianapple
For the last question you needed to know what sin(60) is, which is root3/2

u dont need sin(60), as you could just use pythagoras - you know that the hypotenuse of the triangle is 4 and the other length is 2, so u can find the final length by doing root(16-4), which gives you 2root3
Original post by cjh________
If you had to predict the grade boundaries, do you think they'll be higher (because of the advanced information meaning people should do better) or lower (because ofqual has said theyll be more generous) than the 2019 grade boundaries.

There is no point in any predictions - we haven;t seen two of the papers and none have been marked. Just wait ...

Of qual has said NOTHING about grade boundaries - they have only commented on grade distribution which is not the same.
Original post by dahlia06
does anyone know roughly how much marks you need per paper for a 8 or a 9? including the fact that the boundaries would be 'lower' this year?

for a 9 i would appx say 62
for a 8 it would be around 55 or sm
Original post by Muttley79
There is no point in any predictions - we haven;t seen two of the papers and none have been marked. Just wait ...

Of qual has said NOTHING about grade boundaries - they have only commented on grade distribution which is not the same.

ik that they've said nothing about grade boundaries but they've said they'll be more "generous with grading"
No, not even that - less generous than 2021 ... this doesn't tell us anything about the grade boundaries as we don't know how well people will do.
ik that they've said nothing about grade boundaries but they've said they'll be more "generous with grading"
Original post by Andrew Clinch
I can understand why you put -5 because that side was negative. it was only negative because that was sort of to do with the direction of the vector, and the length being a scalar quantity it doesnt need a direction, you cant really have a negative length. therefore it was 5:2.

ahhh thanks.. then i got 75/80.
Original post by riddy60
what did you get for the ratio and proportion question.Question 11 the sweets one.
the question was like 4:9:x
and i got x=8

I think I got 8 as well.
Original post by zefter1234
Thanks for your video I just watched it pretty good help. Especially the last question looking at your working it seems quite a lot easier and I think I would have got it in the actual exam if I had noticed the equilateral triangle idea as the ball keeps on rolling after that. However I have a few questions/comments.
1) What is y-y1 = m(x-x1)

2) For the algebraic fractions question I think you could have also used completing the square which may have been quicker although in the test I used the same method as you and got the same answer as you.

3) This may be a stupid question but in the proportionality question there was a part where you had to root x^3 you got that as x^3/2 but I thought that as the indices law that rooting is the same as putting to the power of 1/2 I could do (x^3)^1/2 and then since I was multiplying them I could add the indices and thus get x^3+1/2 so x^3.5. If that made any sense please could you explain why it was wrong.

4) Will you be doing this for Paper 2 and 3?

5) Would it be possible for you to email me the actual exam paper which I assume was made available to you on the maths emporium. Or if thats not possible could you type up all the questions please. I understand if this is too much of a hassle I just think it would be good practice for me to redo the paper.

Many thanks for the great video!

(1) This is another approach to finding the equation of a straight line which you learn at A level. Its particularly helpful when questions require answers in the form ax+by=c where a b and c are integers.
(2) Absolutely. As one of life's natural cowards, I don't dare complete the square when the coefficient of x^2 isn't one. But you're absolutely right.
(3) Potatoes gave you a great answer here.
(4) Tricky to say, if I get time I will.
(5) I only have a paper copy, I'll see what I can do.
Original post by jon nicholls
(1) This is another approach to finding the equation of a straight line which you learn at A level. Its particularly helpful when questions require answers in the form ax+by=c where a b and c are integers.
(2) Absolutely. As one of life's natural cowards, I don't dare complete the square when the coefficient of x^2 isn't one. But you're absolutely right.
(3) Potatoes gave you a great answer here.
(4) Tricky to say, if I get time I will.
(5) I only have a paper copy, I'll see what I can do.

Thank you so much. For sending it to me I guess you could take pictures of it or scan it or something. I have also got loads of locked stuff from edexcel aqa, a bit of ocr, predicted papers that u have to pay for and loads of other stuff if you want those just let me know!
Wonderful questions. If only you Whatsapp me I will appreciate
Agreeing with Muttley here, worrying about grade boundaries is a waste of brain power right now. Worry about grade boundaries in August - not now.
Thank you so much. For sending it to me I guess you could take pictures of it or scan it or something. I have also got loads of locked stuff from edexcel aqa, a bit of ocr, predicted papers that u have to pay for and loads of other stuff if you want those just let me know!

is it possible if we could have the trilogy combined aqa science 2021 papers
Original post by shush76
I don't know what question it was and I'm not sure if I'm going mad, but I remember using the quadratic formula on one of the questions. Did anyone else do this?

i know i used completing the square for the one where it said display it in p +/- rootq divided by 2 but i dont remember the quadratic formula. But im not sure
Original post by Mitullesh
i know i used completing the square for the one where it said display it in p +/- rootq divided by 2 but i dont remember the quadratic formula. But im not sure

you could use quad formula on that as well
Ahhh I keep getting flashbacks of everything that I wrote wrong.... I am really worried that I failed based on silly mistakes, cause there were some were I did some small mistakes that will compromise all my work for that question
Original post by MayaVellichor
Ahhh I keep getting flashbacks of everything that I wrote wrong.... I am really worried that I failed based on silly mistakes, cause there were some were I did some small mistakes that will compromise all my work for that question

WHat do you classify as a fail. And check the mark schemes on youtube to get your mark and put your mind at rest.
WHat do you classify as a fail. And check the mark schemes on youtube to get your mark and put your mind at rest.

OK maybe not fail fail, but I need a high grade to do further maths a level
I did check and I am still a bit worried...
Original post by MayaVellichor
OK maybe not fail fail, but I need a high grade to do further maths a level
I did check and I am still a bit worried...

Yes I get what you mean. I'm aiming for a 9 and I reckon I got an 8 in that paper which is bad for me. For me a 7 is a fail as I would like to get at minimum worst case scenario an 8 but for others a 7 may be amazing.
If you had to predict the grade boundaries, do you think they'll be higher (because of the advanced information meaning people should do better) or lower (because ofqual has said theyll be more generous) than the 2019 grade boundaries.

Not necessarily lower than 2019, just lower than they would've been had the paper been sat in a normal year. (I don't think this was made clear by previous posters) If 2021 turns out to be easier than 2019, the boundaries may still be higher or very similar. (though in some subjects it would have to be a lot easier for this to possibly happen, I don't think it's worth worrying about the specifics)

I don't think advanced info would sway things much for GCSE maths since essentially the whole specification is examined each year, that'd be more for essay subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)
2 more papers to go so let's forget the past and focus on bringing our grades up with the others!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending