The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English Language Paper 1: 1EN0 01 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Edexcel GCSE English Language Paper 1: Fiction and Imaginative Writing 1EN0 01 - 18 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Wednesday 18th May AM
Length: 1h45

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Good luck
Reply 2
it’s tomorrow i don’t have a plan for a story :frown:
Reply 3
Good luck, everyone
Reply 4
How was it?
Original post by JJ5672
How was it?

I thought it was a better good paper to be honest
How dumb couldve i been to do the first question of the paper wrong.. first mark gone down the drain
Original post by aliyax.x1
How dumb couldve i been to do the first question of the paper wrong.. first mark gone down the drain

What was the correct answer?
the first paper actually went pretty good tbf, like for q3 I wrote 1 page and a 5 or 6 lines, then for q4 and q5, I written 2 and a half pages. About the question about the memorable weather, like I dont know to be honest, could I talk about when last August, there was barely any rainfall and that in previous years there was always rainfall and my parents were working for a million hours so no time for a holiday, I ain't sure, but I hope I didn't mess up.
I liked the extract. At least compared to our last mock this extract was amazing most people misunderstood the last extract in our mock at my school but Dickens was good. His writing is relatively clear. And Oliver Twist! An interesting extract, compared to previous papers I've seen. The tension question wasn't awful either, at least in my opinion; I managed to write four paragraphs (which is one more than I was aiming for) although I was worried the quality had gone down. What I found odd was Q5 this time it was so narrow. Usually it's just 'write about a time you were happy' or something along those lines, so you could adapt any story to it. Not this time. I couldn't use the story I'd thought of, so I ended up changing it at the last minute, but I still wrote about 3 pages for that, so it was OK. Ended up writing historical/fantasy fiction to do with the witch trials and I chose the 'stand up for what you think is right' question (5, was it? It's gone from my brain lol). It was something along those lines, anyway. How did everyone else find it?
Reply 10
Original post by BenevolentMyths
I liked the extract. At least compared to our last mock this extract was amazing most people misunderstood the last extract in our mock at my school but Dickens was good. His writing is relatively clear. And Oliver Twist! An interesting extract, compared to previous papers I've seen. The tension question wasn't awful either, at least in my opinion; I managed to write four paragraphs (which is one more than I was aiming for) although I was worried the quality had gone down. What I found odd was Q5 this time it was so narrow. Usually it's just 'write about a time you were happy' or something along those lines, so you could adapt any story to it. Not this time. I couldn't use the story I'd thought of, so I ended up changing it at the last minute, but I still wrote about 3 pages for that, so it was OK. Ended up writing historical/fantasy fiction to do with the witch trials and I chose the 'stand up for what you think is right' question (5, was it? It's gone from my brain lol). It was something along those lines, anyway. How did everyone else find it?

It was writing about a time where you, or somebody you know, stood up for something (although I did a person so hopefully I'll be fine!).

Overall the paper was alright, although I'm not an English person.
It’s about content mostly
i didnt tick a specific box for the narrative writing im an idiot
Original post by superweird_200
i didnt tick a specific box for the narrative writing im an idiot

im sure they can figure out what question you did, as long as you answer one of the questions
Original post by SnowyPanda
im sure they can figure out what question you did, as long as you answer one of the questions

Hopefully man at least paper 2 is worth more marks i guess
what were the options for question 5?
Original post by anjellyca
what were the options for question 5?

write about a time you stood up for something or write about a time the weather was memorable
Original post by uglyplushy
write about a time you stood up for something or write about a time the weather was memorable

i'm just a curious sister because my brother forgot what the question was apart from the one he answered (weather)

Good luck to you all!

Quick Reply

Latest