The Student Room Group

Rejection, Med Offer & Computer Science Offer My Gap year so far

I have heard the whole if you want to do medicine and something else pick something else but hear me out

I'm a gap year student who luckily got an offer for both Medicine and Computer Science at both very top unis.

Do I like medicine as a subject yes, I am very able in biology and memorising information is probably my strength.

Do I like the long hours bombardment of tests and working in NHS no I am someone who wants a work life balance and is very sporty and athletic and want to be able to enjoy life.
Also I really do not like the city where the university is based for Medicine. It is not a city I could see myself living for the next 5 years no way,
Do I like computer science? No! havent had an interest in it and what hooked me is the prospect I have heard and opportunities that is me being honest.

I had just been rejected today for a degree apprenticeship in computer science with PwC which I really wanted and doing a normal computer science degree was not something I wanted at all. I was only truly willing to do the degree apprenticeship in computer science.

I feel like picking medicine would just be the safest option and not something I want but at the same time I feel like me picking computer science is truly just because all my friends from school go there

My dad was shoving medicine down my throat and i guess rejection last year had saved me from having to do Medicine. Even though he was willing to send eastern Europe last summer tried to make me go a week after results day last year lol. I stood my ground and told him to back off however him hearing that I had been rejected from pwc degree apprenticeship for computer science is just gonna add fuel to the fire and hes going use the upper hand now to push medicine on me. I dont want to go through that again.

The pain of result day last year is coming back and the rejection I had faced last year is making my head foggy just like the last September.

If I could just have some advice, especially from someone that's been in my situation. Please none of that if u dont want medicine do something else, just give me some guidance and advice and tell me if there is another way of looking at things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sdfgfsaq
I have heard the whole if you want to do medicine and something else pick something else but hear me out

I'm a gap year student who luckily got an offer for both Medicine and Computer Science at both very top unis.

Do I like medicine as a subject yes, I am very able in biology and memorising information is probably my strength.

Do I like the long hours bombardment of tests and working in NHS no I am someone who wants a work life balance and is very sporty and athletic and want to be able to enjoy life.
Also I really do not like the city where the university is based for Medicine. It is not a city I could see myself living for the next 5 years no way,
Do I like computer science? No! havent had an interest in it and what hooked me is the prospect I have heard and oppurtunities that is me being honest.

I had just been rejected today for a degree apprenticeship in computer science with PwC which I really wanted and doing a normal computer science degree was not something I wanted at all. I was only truly willing to do the degree apprenticeship in computer Science.

I feel like picking medicine would just be the safest option and not something I want but at the same time I feel like me picking computer science is truly just because all my friends from school go there and

The pain of result day last year is coming back and the rejection I had faced last year is making my head foggy just like the last september.

If I could just have some advice especially from someone thats been in my situation.

This is a tough situation to give advice on but maybe could help.

Best wishes regardless :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Ur completely right however i feel like over the past 2 years everything ive heard about medicine online and news has made build a sort negative agenda against medicine however. I feel like whenever i hear about medicine its about doctors not liking their work

On the other hand i should not be picking computer science just so i can be with friends i need to enjoy the course im doing and excel at it which i honestly dont know i will do with computer science

Another worry is if i could get a degree apprenticeship with top firm how on earth could i then get an internship which will be just as competitive if not more??

So many conflicting arguements i dno what to do???
I think you know what you want to do and are just seeking the reassurance to do it. Your heart does not appear to be in medicine and I think you would struggle with all that entails unless you are fully committed. You are young, you have time to make a mistake. Go with what feels best for you, not your parents....they don't have to live your life and you're a long time in a job.
Original post by sdfgfsaq

Do I like computer science? No! havent had an interest in it and what hooked me is the prospect I have heard and opportunities that is me being honest.

I had just been rejected today for a degree apprenticeship in computer science with PwC which I really wanted and doing a normal computer science degree was not something I wanted at all. I was only truly willing to do the degree apprenticeship in computer science.

I feel like picking medicine would just be the safest option and not something I want but at the same time I feel like me picking computer science is truly just because all my friends from school go there

My dad was shoving medicine down my throat and i guess rejection last year had saved me from having to do Medicine. Even though he was willing to send eastern Europe last summer tried to make me go a week after results day last year lol. I stood my ground and told him to back off however him hearing that I had been rejected from pwc degree apprenticeship for computer science is just gonna add fuel to the fire and hes going use the upper hand now to push medicine on me. I dont want to go through that again.

The pain of result day last year is coming back and the rejection I had faced last year is making my head foggy just like the last September.

If I could just have some advice, especially from someone that's been in my situation. Please none of that if u dont want medicine do something else, just give me some guidance and advice and tell me if there is another way of looking at things.

Hi there, I am in the exact same situation, just saw this thread, parents and their medicine is making my mind a blur, I was wondering what u ended up doing?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, what A levels did you take to be able to get accepted to both medicine and computer science?
Reply 6
Original post by amabanavardedil
Hi there, I am in the exact same situation, just saw this thread, parents and their medicine is making my mind a blur, I was wondering what u ended up doing?

Medicine and it was the right choice tbf. If Im being honest the only reason I picked comp sci was cause it was trendy and everyone doing it and it seems to the hottest thing. Looking at my friends struggling with the 2nd year content now, Im not sure if I was built for comp sci.
Medicine was always better suited to me and looking back Im happy i made the right choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending