This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is that possible? I thought it went up to 5*, yet Durham claim to have a 6* rating for Geog...
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have never hear of it. I know there is a 5A* and 5B*, so maybe they have split the two different level 5's into, 5 and6??????
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep Salford's information insitute is a 6* star rated centre, its the best in the country for research beating any offered by Oxbridge. I believe only 12 universities in the country have a 6* star department.
*Hythlodaeus*
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought it only went up to 5*. :confused:
joesharp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Times says only 5*
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If a department is very good then it will be 6*. I am not sure if this is a new thing or not, but there are 12 departments in the country that is 6*, and there probably 100s of departments in total so its not surprising its not that well known.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what the hell is an information institute, and where else has them?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by joesharp)
The Times says only 5*
It has recently been revised. Departments originally scoring 5*A in the 2001 research/teaching quality assessment have been given a 6* rating.

(Original post by Bristol Biochemistry)
Biochemistry was one of the many departments that received the maximum 5*A rating (revised to 6*A) in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise, signifying that more than half of the Department's research activities are of 'international excellence', with the remainder being of 'national excellence'. Taken together, these make Bristol one of the two most highly-rated university biochemistry departments in the UK.
KingsComp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes I think you can have 6* ratings, I read in the Kings College London prospectus that their "War Studies" department also got a 6* rating. I think universities with outstanding departments are in fact awarded a 6* rating, although its NOT very common.
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I believe a department receives a 6* rating once it has scored three 5* ratings in a row.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
what the hell is an information institute, and where else has them?
A department that studies the organisation of of information. Its all about library management, storing records effectvly in databases etc.

http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/

The subject is informatics.
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razzakakbar)
Yes I think you can have 6* ratings, I read in the Kings College London prospectus that their "War Studies" department also got a 6* rating. I think universities with outstanding departments are in fact awarded a 6* rating, although its NOT very common.
Yep, and I've applied with Philosophy, but they still haven't replied :mad: :mad: :mad:
Attached files
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol. :/

btw is there a site that shows the research rating of different unis?
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lol. :/

btw is there a site that shows the research rating of different unis?
Times guide is rather good
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
A department that studies the organisation of of information. Its all about library management, storing records effectvly in databases etc.

The subject is informatics.
According to the Sunday Times University Guide 2004, there are 102 6* rated centres of excellence. According to it, Salford's is for 'Built Environment'.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
According to the Sunday Times University Guide 2004, there are 102 6* rated centres of excellence. According to it, Salford's is for 'Built Environment'.
Thats strange, it must have two departments then, I know the ISI is a 6* star department it they wouldn't be allowed to say it otherwise :mad:

I know the built environment department has a good reputation but I didn't know it was 6*, but then I don't have any links with that department, my boss is a lecturer at ISI which why I know about that.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Thats strange, it must have two departments then, I know the ISI is a 6* star department it they wouldn't be allowed to say it otherwise :mad:

I know the built environment department has a good reputation but I didn't know it was 6*, but then I don't have any links with that department, my boss is a lecturer at ISI which why I know about that.
Maybe its the newspaper that got it wrong :confused:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Maybe its the newspaper that got it wrong :confused:
It seems the Times is also right :confused:

http://www.scpm.salford.ac.uk/
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does anyone know when the next research assessment is? AFAIK, the last one was in 2001.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
Times guide is rather good
Strange: When I applied Oxford was top, now number 8 - and I've only been here a year :confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads