The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Uni accomodation if Exeter is your insurance offer

Hi,
My son has put Exeter as his insurance choice which means that university accommodation is not guaranteed. I know that Exeter was an oversubscribed uni last year and we had to rush to get private accom. when daughter secured her place through clearing. My question is, has anyone had (or know of someone who had) an offer of uni accom when joining Exeter via the insurance route or is it just not going to happen?
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
My son has put Exeter as his insurance choice which means that university accommodation is not guaranteed. I know that Exeter was an oversubscribed uni last year and we had to rush to get private accom. when daughter secured her place through clearing. My question is, has anyone had (or know of someone who had) an offer of uni accom when joining Exeter via the insurance route or is it just not going to happen?
Thanks

Hello, great to hear your son has put us as his insurance choice. As you found last year we can be very over-subscribed, but it does vary from year to year. Last year was very exceptional, but it is not uncommon for a lot of clearing students to have to secure private accommodation. We will often have some options, but it will be a lot more limited if it is available. I do not have any stats on the likelihood of getting into university halls if we are your insurance, but practically I would do some prep on private hall/accommodation options so if come results day it looks like he is going to Exeter you can quickly secure a place to stay privately as it can take a few days for university hall places to be processed and places to become available. This prep will hopefully make it a little less stressful come results day.

Of course all this said, fingers crossed he gets in to his firm choice!

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
My daughter got accepted to Exeter today and we applied for accommodation. We were very excited until we heard that it wasn't guaranteed. How long does it take to find out if she will get a halls place? Unfortunately we cannot afford private so she will have to defer if there is no places.
Original post by Catlang0609
My daughter got accepted to Exeter today and we applied for accommodation. We were very excited until we heard that it wasn't guaranteed. How long does it take to find out if she will get a halls place? Unfortunately we cannot afford private so she will have to defer if there is no places.

Hello Catlang0609,

Congratulations to your daughter, we look forward to welcoming her to Exeter!

As a clearing/insurance applicant, if we are able to make you an offer you will receive notification via email from week commencing 29 August. You might find it helpful to speak to our Accommodation call centre to talk through her options for this year; they can be contacted on 0300 555 0444 (UK numbers) or +44 1392 72 4724 (International numbers). I also find the following blog useful for the most up to date information/insights into Accommodation updates at Exeter. It is worth keeping an eye on it for any advice and tips.

Hope this helps, and fingers crossed your daughter secures a spot in halls!

Melody
Original post by UniofExeter Rep
Hello Catlang0609,

Congratulations to your daughter, we look forward to welcoming her to Exeter!

As a clearing/insurance applicant, if we are able to make you an offer you will receive notification via email from week commencing 29 August. You might find it helpful to speak to our Accommodation call centre to talk through her options for this year; they can be contacted on 0300 555 0444 (UK numbers) or +44 1392 72 4724 (International numbers). I also find the following blog useful for the most up to date information/insights into Accommodation updates at Exeter. It is worth keeping an eye on it for any advice and tips.

Hope this helps, and fingers crossed your daughter secures a spot in halls!

Melody

Thanks so much for your reply Melody. I will keep an eye on the blog. Fingers crossed 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending