The Student Room Group

Should I do natural sciences? HELP

Hi,
sorry for the bad grammar you are about to read!!

I’m a student in year 12 and currently looking at uni courses, only it’s very difficult considering the idiotic choice I made not to take Maths A level. My 3 A levels are physics, chemistry and geography. Obviously, this has made looking for uni courses quite difficult as most STEM courses require maths. I’m quite interested in the earth sciences (geophysics..) and chemistry route so I was taking a look at the natural science course at UCL, Durham and Southampton and I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or not. To my understanding, there seems to be a biological route and a physical route which is a bit of an issue considering I haven’t taken biology or maths.

Has anyone who has taken natural sciences seen something similar? Is it smarter to take a single chemistry course instead? Or does anyone have any ideas on other uni courses I can do that is not just geography as I don’t want my science A levels to go to waste.

Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lm2122x
Hi,

I’m a student in year 12 and currently looking at uni courses, only it’s very difficult considering the idiotic choice I made not to take Maths A level. My 3 A levels are physics, chemistry and geography. Obviously, this has made looking for uni courses quite difficult as most STEM courses require maths. I’m quite interested in the earth sciences (geophysics..) and chemistry route so I was taking a look at the natural science course at UCL, Durham and Southampton and I’m not sure if it’s a good idea or not. To my understanding, there seems to be a biological route and a physical route which is a bit of an issue considering I haven’t taken biology or maths.

Has anyone who has taken natural sciences seen something similar? Is it smarter to take a single chemistry course instead? Or does anyone have any ideas on other uni courses I can do that is not just geography as I don’t want my science A levels to go to waste.

Thank you.

Hey so for Durham it is possible to combine earth sciences and chemistry and there is no requirement to choose either a biological route or a physical route. However, you do need A-level maths to take the chemistry courses so you would probably have to go down a straight Earth Sciences course at Durham.

At UCL you'd have to pick 2 streams in your first year. You would be able to choose organic chemistry or geophysical science but bare in mind that they do recommend A-level maths (but do not require it). You'd definitely be able to do the Earth and Environment stream. Also note that not all stream combinations are possible so check first before applying.

Southampton appears to be the least stringent on entry requirements for the different courses.

Long story short, every natural sciences course is different so check the modules available for each one and see if you'd be able to do the combinations of things that you want.
Original post by lm2122x
Hi,

Thank you.

Having just gone through this application process with my daughter …. The degree structure is totally different in Scotland so if you are prepared to do 4 years or go into second year there if your a level results are strong you can pick up other subjects along side your main subject. She applied for natural sciences in England as wanted some flexibility but has decided to go for a Scottish Uni as ultimately they’re is more flexibility than a natural sciences degree. Our school certainly wasn’t too helpful explaining this and we have learned through offer holder days - good luck x
Original post by lm2122x
Hi,

Thank you.

If you're interested in Earth Sciences and Chemistry, why not just apply for Earth Sciences? Chemistry isn't a distinct subject from Earth Sciences, it's a huge part of it (e.g. geochemistry). How much geochemistry is taught will depend on the university, but if you have a look through the modules offered, it'll significantly expand the range of universities and courses you could apply for. A lot of Earth Sciences courses are basically natural sciences applied to the Earth.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
As above lots of earth science / geology courses that you would be well qualified for. If you are particularly interested in geophysics I think southampton have a foundation year which would let you cover the maths required.
Original post by lm2122x
Hi,

Thank you.

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at the uni of Nottingham.

By the sounds of what you are saying, I think natural sciences would fit you well. Keeping more than one subject looks good to employers as you can draw your knowledge from each to solve any problems etc.

At Nottingham you would be able to study any combination of these subjects:
Physics, Chemistry, Earth sciences, ecosystems and environment, and archaeology.

In first year you study 3 subjects and then drop down to 2 in second and third year.
I will leave a link below so you can look at the different modules that Nottingham specifically offers and if they would be of any interest to you.

If you have any questions about the course, the uni or anything else just let me know,
Emily :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/study-with-us/index.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending